Cactus worms

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
monrad

Cactus worms

Post by monrad »

Hi everyone,
It sounds like there are some very knowledgable people on this site. Hopefully someone can help.

I planted some cactus seeds using peat pellets about eight weeks ago. The other night I noticed some worms on the surface. They are about 3/16" - 3/8"(5mm) long, very slender, no discernable markings on the body, and they appear almost clear. I think they are chomping the roots. I sprayed some a Dawn dishwashing detergent and water mixture on them, it seemed to cause them distress and I didn't see the worms for a couple of days. Now they are back again. I Googled looking for answers and couldn't find anything that fit.

Will I need to throw out all my seedling or can I salvage them? What can I use to kill the worms? Did they come from the peat pellets? They are in an enclosed propagator so I don't think they are from flies or such.

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Greeting,
Mark
kari

Post by kari »

Mark, I am an invertebrate biologist, but I don't know if I can help or not!

Anyway, what species of seeds, where did you get them, and where did you get the peat? Did you "cook" the peat to kill unwanted organisms? Is the peat "guaranteed" to be "clean"?

Can you "pickle" some of the worms (in 70% alcohol, like rubbing) and/or can you take pictures?

Sorry for the 90 questions, but sometimes you gotta know a few things to answer only one.

kari
monrad

Post by monrad »

kari,
I will have to email a picture to you. I hope that is okay. I tried to pick a couple out to get a good picture, but they are so soft they just squish. You can see how they look clear. The peat I used were those peat pellets. They are just wafers you water and they expand within a netting to make a pot. I assumed they were steril, but now I guess not :oops:. Thanks for the reply.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Keep an eye out for little tiny flys or gnats. I have these in my orchid pots the little worms are the larvae that eat on the roots. Your description matches what I have. I've read that they don't pose a large threat to the robust roots of orchids, but can easily wipe out seedlings by eating the roots right off of them. I haven't really tried to get rid of them so not sure what works the best. Perhaps Kari can confirm this.