An accident

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Michael

An accident

Post by Michael »

Hello everybody!

I have a little problem which I’m not really sure how to fix. Today, while I was distracted in the other room, the draft blew my Opuntia microdasys of the window and the poor thing fell down. The container was too light guess, since I usually water him Saturdays, and the wind knocked it down from the window to the floor. One of the pads broke of and I guess that can’t be helped, but also every section between the pads, you know, where they connect, got a little loose, or at least I think it’s not as it used to be. To make a long story short, it took quite a beating. My question is how can I help it? I mean, the part that broke of I can’t fix, that would be my guess, but what about these other “loose” pads? Should I break them off, or should I use sticks and tie them up a bit the way they use to grow so they heal, or something else? Also, what should I do with the wound that’s left where the pad broke off? I read somewhere that it should be sprinkled with dry dirt, so it heals faster. Is this true?

All in all, what do I do now? How do I help the poor thing?
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Well, you can just let it take it's course if the loose pads are still intact and see if it continues to grow. If the loose pads start to show signs of shriveling then cut them loose where they start growing from the pad.
There is no need to sprinkle dirt or anything on the area where the pad broke off or where you cut a pad loose. Just left them callous over (air dry) and they should be fine.
As far as the pad that broke off or any you end up cutting off just let the cut / broke area callous over (about a week) then stick the pads in potting medium. They'll soon take root and you'll have some more opuntia plants.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it