Greenhouse Staging/Shelving & watering

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
CoronaCactus

Greenhouse Staging/Shelving & watering

Post by CoronaCactus »

As i'm getting our GH area prepped and starting on the foundation, i got to thinking about staging/shelving.

Currently in the shanty...errr i mean shadehouse, i have a couple shelves to keep up with the addiction...

Now, whenever i water the top shelf plants, the excess runs off and sometimes drips heavily into a lower shelf pot, disturbing the top dressing and creating a *pit*. Or knocking off a Tephro stem :evil: For now, i have simply left open spaces where the heavy drips fall, but i need those spaces for plants...dontchaknow! :)

Sooo, obviously i don't want this to be an issue once the GH is built. I have a few ideas, but was wondering what you all do to avoid dripping down to the lower shelves.
iann

Post by iann »

A solid shelf can be built to direct excess water off one corner where it won't land on plants below.
--ian
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Thats one idea i had, to channel the excess into a single drain pan or just onto the ground. However, i was trying to avoid such a bulky bench

The other was to use a grated top shelf and lay down some window screen under it to break the heavy streams into more of a shower...
TimN

Post by TimN »

Do you care if light can get through? My first thought was a drip tray below the shelf, tilted to one corner to drain in one spot.

This could be made from very light metal (aluminum?). It only has to hold some water for a short period...
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

That could work.
But i'd rather use some type of plastic or plastic like material, prefereably on the inexpensive side...as i have ~40 feet of bench.
hob

Re: Greenhouse Staging/Shelving & watering

Post by hob »

CoronaCactus wrote: i don't want this to be an issue once the GH is built. I have a few ideas, but was wondering what you all do to avoid dripping down to the lower shelves.
and where it goes after that :?: i take mine out to water because there is no drain in the solid concrete base :? ...........something you need to be thinking about too.
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
iann

Post by iann »

I have a feeling this isn't going to be an issue. The tin shack could be ankle deep in water and I suspect it would evaporate before you could fetch another canful!
--ian
peterb

Post by peterb »

Now I'm curious about the entire greenhouse setup you're planning. How big is the greenhouse? How many benches and what are their dimensions? Do you want plants on shelves or is it easier to create floor space for additional growing? What sort of floor are you installing? Curious too about cooling and ventilation for the summer. I assume you don't need heat in the winter.

The funny thing about some greenhouses is the maximum square footage for growing sometimes isn't used due to the interior setup. I've seen several home greenhouses that were roughly 12'X 8' offering 96 sq. ft. of floor, that only had about 50 sq. ft. of usable growing space due to the interior layout and bench dimensions. Commercial greenhouses seek to maximize growing space while at the same time creating easy and low-labor watering and accessibility. The nursery I worked at had rolling benches, so only one walkway was open at a time. The effect is the greenhouse is a sea of plants with one tiny aisle. Mesa Garden doesn't use benches in two of their greenhouses, both of which are literally crammed full of plants.

peterb
Zone 9
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

The GH will be sitting 50/50 on dirt and concrete. The dirt side will have a gravel floor, while the concrete will stay as is.

The foundation will be 1 cinder block tall with a 2x6 wood sill to attach the GH frame to. Drainage holes will be built into the cinder block foundation on the concrete side.

The GH measures 8'6" wide x 16'8" long and 6'9" tall at the peak. It's a barn style shape, which is why i wanted to add the extra height with the cinder blocks, so i don't continously bonk my head :roll: (So add another 8-10" in height from the cinder blocks.)

I do not plan to use any floor space, all shelves. I plan to make a horse shoe shape main bench, 20" deep on the sides and 24-30" deep at the rear. 2 tiered, with a lower shelf. The parts of the lower shelf that will still get good light will be used for plants, while the shaded areas will be used for new propagation starts, shade plants and storage.

I also want a middle island bench, 20" wide. Calculate that up and it leaves 21" walkways. Not alot, but enough to shimmey through ;) Above the island will be setup for any hanging basket plants.

I am still trying to decide which will be better. The horse shoe + island, or a wider horseshoe and no island...

Above the horseshoe benches, i'd like to add some 12" deep shelves for seedlings.

How did i come up with the shelf dimensions?
well, 20" will hold a standard flat nicely and not have it hang over the edge. (~ 18"x18") and the upper 12" deep shelves will hold standard 1020 trays lengthwise. (~11"x21")

As for heating/cooling:
I don't think there will be a need for heat in the winter, if so, it may only be needed for a week or 2. So i'm not too concerened about that.
For cooling, the GH comes with 3 auto opening roof vents and 2 louvered end vents. Along with the main doors. I also have 2 large floor standing fans i can use for air flow and extra cooling.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Do you think you will be workin in there, or just housing plants in there? I like to work in mine when the weather is cold and rainy(whats that, like two days out of the year? :roll: ) cause I run a little heater inside so its nice and toasty. :)
The island would make a nice work space but it sounds like it might be a little cramped. Having that little extra room for workin would be nice.

Also, I run a 12" oscilating fan, 24/7 year round in my greenhouse that is mostly for orchids. This was recomended to me by several experienced growers and works great. How important is this (constantly moving the air) for growng cacti and succulents in a greenhouse?
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I don't plan to work in the GH, maybe a small potting area. We have too many plants :roll: Need to pack as many in there as i can!

I'll have a workbench area just outside the GH against the house.

Is your heater electric or propane?

oh! I just remembered we have a propane heater we use for camping...It's a smaller version of those tall ones you see at outdoor restaurants/cafes.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Its just a small thermostatic electric fan heater.
I think you could pack even more stuff inside if you make the island into a peninsula coming off the center of the back shelf.You would'nt be able to walk all the way around but do you really need to? Then you could hang a ton of stuff down the center.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Tony wrote:I think you could pack even more stuff inside if you make the island into a peninsula coming off the center of the back shelf.You would'nt be able to walk all the way around but do you really need to? Then you could hang a ton of stuff down the center.
Buck Hemenway