Sticky question

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Leon

Sticky question

Post by Leon »

Bill in KC or anyone else,
While out and about one day last week I remembered an old fishing spot that had some Opuntias growing there. javascriptemoticon(':roll:')Well, having been bitten bad with the bug, I decided to stop and see if I could find them again. Picture this, here I am in 80 degree temperature with open toed sandals and shorts on.
But, being me, I didn't let a little thing like that stop me. It's really amazing how much a place can grow up in about ten years! After tromping around in waist high grass and brush for about 30-45 minutes, I finally find a small patch, pick out a few pads that look good, then commence to try and get them. javascriptemoticon(':shock:')Boy, talk about a zillion stickers, I really found them!!!! Anyway, I get my prizes, take them home, spend a couple of hours removing stickers from various parts of my body, wondering if I had completely lost it or not. javascriptemoticon(':?:')Now my question is, do I cut the pads or do I just go ahead and plant them? Its been a week tomorrow since I got them. I removed them with a knife where they joined the main body. I thought I read somewhere you were supposed to cut the pad about in half, dry and then plant it. They are beginning to wrinkle slightly.
Thanks
Leon
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Hey Leon,

Sounds like proper attire for hunting cactus to me :wink: Well, maybe not the sandals :lol:

Sounds like you found our Kansas native opuntia.
Since you cut them where the pad joined and they have calloused over by know all you have to do is plant the pads with about 1/3rd of the pad in the soil and wait for it to start growing.
This late in the year I would start them in pots then transfer them into the ground next spring after the spring rains are over.
Do you have pictures of it :?:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Leon

Post by Leon »

Thanks Bill
Will try to get pics tomorrow.
Leon
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

Bill and Leon
Are you both crazy!! :shock: Shorts sandals and cactus is not a good mix. I wear long sleeve shirts,long pants,straw hat,and steal toes hiking boots. And take along adjustable hiking poles, water skin,compass,terrain map, good leather gloves, camera, seven in one tool and most important TP.
Oh shoot!! :oops: I almost forgot, your both "Flat Landers" aren't ya.:roll:
Never mind. :wink:
From the High Desert Steppe
of the Great Basin and foot hills
of the Sierra Nevada Range
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/
sierrarainshadow
John C

Post by John C »

John P Weiser wrote:Bill and Leon
Are you both crazy!! :shock: Shorts sandals and cactus is not a good mix. I wear long sleeve shirts,long pants,straw hat,and steal toes hiking boots. And take along adjustable hiking poles, water skin,compass,terrain map, good leather gloves, camera, seven in one tool and most important TP.

GEEEZ! That's a lot of stuff! I just go in shorts and shoes or flip flops and I just take a knife and some paper towels!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

John C
Ya "Geeez"! :shock: Is about right. I go hoofing off alone cross country, on day hikes. I travel into some fairly rough country. The first direction I head is up, after a time, I change direction and head down, then up again, then down again, up, and down. :) About half way along my route I turn around and go back the way I came, doing it all over till I'm done. :D Hopefully I've collected a few cuttings, plants, seed or pictures, of the many High Sierra and/or Great Basin flora from the area. 8)
Sad thing is, my wife thinks I'm a bit touched in the noggin from too much sun. :? Who knows she may be on the right track. :-k I tend to think I might have an addiction. :wink:
sierrarainshadow
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

John P Weiser wrote:Bill and Leon
I'm only a flatlander because I moved here. I was born in Oregon :wink:

That's a pretty impressive list there John but I can't help but notice you let out the pack mule :P :lol:
Bill

ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

John said:
Sad thing is, my wife thinks I'm a bit touched in the noggin from too much sun. Who knows she may be on the right track. I tend to think I might have an addiction.
I'm right there with ya on the addiction part John :wink:
We won't discuss what my wife thinks about me :roll:
Bill

CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Well, i don't wear flip-flops...and i just couldn't wear long pants in the desert!

My camera bag is large enough to hold my gear and 2 bottles of gatorade. It's a pain enough to carry the cam bag, so everything i carry must fit into it.
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

Bill there is a guy I work with who goes on week long hikes in the Sierra. He has a string of three lamas he uses. They don't kick as bad as mules but they do spit at him once in awhile. :lol:
sierrarainshadow
peterb

Post by peterb »

Long pants are a must in the dense Sonoran Uplands zones as well as a lot of other desert areas with extensive brush and thorn brush, including Baja, at least as far as I'm concerned. Shorts are a lot more comfortable of course, until an O. leptocarpa or bigelovii or whatever takes a liking to one's shin. Pants, especially heavier jeans, do help, sort of a second skin.

I usually wear long sleeves, too. SPF 45 sunscreen. Lots of water. Knife. Camera. GPS. Hat. Some habitat days I'm out there at 6 am and don't come under shelter until sunset. So I can end up feeling like "peterb jerky" if I'm not cautious. :-)

peterb
Zone 9
hob

Post by hob »

i would have to take the satnav ............or i'd get lost :oops:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

I usually wear long sleeves, too. SPF 45 sunscreen. Lots of water. Knife. Camera. GPS. Hat. Some habitat days I'm out there at 6 am and don't come under shelter until sunset. So I can end up feeling like "peterb jerky" if I'm not cautious.
:thumbright: Now that's What I'm talken about. 8)
At 4000< foot elevations the UV will fry you even when it's cool weather. 8)I find I stay cooler wearing long sleeves.
sierrarainshadow
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I like poking fun but in all seriousness I too wear jeans and long sleeves plus a hat. Never worried about maps and gps though.
Bill

ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

John P Weiser wrote:Bill there is a guy I work with who goes on week long hikes in the Sierra. He has a string of three lamas he uses. They don't kick as bad as mules but they do spit at him once in awhile. :lol:
I know about them spitting :evil: I have a friend that raised them and believe it or not they are rather tasty.
Heres what they look like when they get real old.
Bill