Hello, what a species these cacti will be ?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
arturo conan

Post by arturo conan »

Attachments
IMG_20200816_115813_opt.jpg
IMG_20200816_115813_opt.jpg (114.35 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
IMG_20200816_121021_opt.jpg
IMG_20200816_121021_opt.jpg (109.82 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
anttisepp

Re: Hello, what a species these cacti will be ?

Post by anttisepp »

Hola!
1 Neocardenasia (Neoraimondia) herzogiana
2 Cleistocactus sp.
IMHO
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

arturo conan wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:14 pm Hello, what a species these cacti will be ?
Why do you need to know so many names. It is not even important to know them. All you do on this forum seems to be requesting identification for plants. And you are not even thanking those that take the trouble of doing identification work for you, for cyring out! You got some questions of those that helped you out in a few of your own post, but you haven't bothered answering those as a favour too...

Really, the visitors on this forum are more than your private labourers that have to do identification work for you (Anttisepp seems to be nice to help you out every now and then, I do wonder why he / she keeps it up, but it is nice).

Have you at least even considered offering something back to the readers of this forum in one and a half years you are here, such as teach them something, participate in a discussion, help them out with their problems or offer nice pictures of blooming plants that a lot of people enjoy watching? WE WANT TO BE ENTERTAINED OR EDUCATED TOO!

This forum is offering less and less for me to visit. All I see these days are these endless identification requests everytime I visit the forum and watch the list of new messages. Every time I am getting closer of just signing off, deleting my account and never coming back because I hardly see anything of interest to read anymore in between those (to me) annoying and sometimes shameless amounts of indentification request.

I feel I can't be the only one feeling like this, such as the thread https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... n+requests shows.

Too bad, this forum used to be fun AND interesting a few years back.
arturo conan

Re: Hola, ¿qué especie serán estos cactus?

Post by arturo conan »

I apologize if I have bothered you. It was not my intention.
I thought it was a pleasure to identify a cactus, not a nuisance, as you indicate.
in other cactus forums members thank me for sending them new identifications.
On the other hand, I do not know paid forums, but in any case he is absolutely right since in other forums we send each other beautiful photos, we talk eternally about botanical matters, for example we talk at length about the difference between infraspecific taxa
What happens is that I have a large roof terrace for 3 neighbors, and I only have my clothes, so I have made a small collection of potted cacti for 14 years that I live here and how I have a nursery next to my house with the cacti at 0.60 euros, because I can't stop buying and I take a numbered photograph with the name and what grows, I put it on the pc. and apart I write it all in a notebook, there is my desire for identification.
Well, I'll look and send beautiful photos and seeds and we'll talk about cacti.
One question, why do cacti in general need more potassium and less nitrogen?
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Tómalo con calma, Arturo,
there were hundreds asks for ID before you and it will be always of all cacti forums.
I shouldn't answer when someone ask ID of cadaver. :) If it bores there's no need to wright, it's forum.
And it's absolutely clear that it's amateur forum, not for professional botanists.
Usually cactus lovers are very pretty friendly people. We have very beautiful hobby.
Pregunta libremente.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

No problem in posting pictures of cacti for identification on the Forum Arturo. However do not post too many at a time, or per week. You will get more helpful comments if you spread your requests over time rather than trying to identify your whole collection within a few days or a week.

Posting a number of pictures at once in a travelogue is no problem since they are there just like a talk at a branch or club meeting for the viewers entertainment, although comments about identification or misidentification in those cases are welcome. Also posting a series of pictures of your plants in flower that are already identified for others enjoyment is OK.

I multiple posted in my travelogue in the link below, but that was intended just like a club talk to illustrate plants in habitat in a trip to Chile, not basically to get the plants identified.

https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=164681

I realise it is difficult for those new to the hobby to get their plants named, particularly as many nurserymen and stores no longer label the plants with even their generic, let alone their specific names anymore. I was lucky belonging to a local cactus club in The UK when I started in the 1960's and could get the more knowledgeable members to identify plants for me. Many around the world do not have access to convenient local cactus clubs with like minded enthusiasts. However in those days we were all expected to buy at least a basic book on cactus cultivation and identification, but now few seem to read books anymore and therefore all attempts at identification have gone online.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Arturo
Understand that many of the cactus you are asking about have already been identified in earlier postings from other people. We all want quick answers, but spending a few hours going through older posts is more a way of showing courtesy to everyone. By now you have an idea of the general species your plants are. There are numerous online websites that you can look through that show 1000's of picture of mammillarias for example. This site included has the whole plant forum by species. Part of the hobby is research and learning. You have 125 posts and all are to identify your cactus. You should also think about contributing.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
arturo conan

Re: Hola, ¿qué especie serán estos cactus?

Post by arturo conan »

I agree, it will not happen again.