And I completely missed the bud!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
cactuspolecat

And I completely missed the bud!

Post by cactuspolecat »

I guess I wasn't expecting this scruffy little plant to flower yet, so I didn't even see the bud, but I didn't miss the flower. This is it's very first.
Cintia knizei:
Image Image

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
taliesin

Post by taliesin »

scruffy little plants sometimes supprise you with a wonderful display. thats gorgeous :D
someone pass me the tweezers!
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Nice 'un CP!! Most unusual..
Bill in SC
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

A very nice specimen!
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Thanks guys, now to get the plant to grow, I only got it toward the end last season, so it didn't get to do much before the winter started, so it's should put out some nice new growth this coming spring/summer... and more flowers next year.

CP

hob

Post by hob »

i thought it was mid winter where you are ??
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Not a very common plant! Thanks for sharing!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Since you called it scruffy then I'll agree :wink:
Even though, still a cactus with a nice flower.

Will it become unscruffy once it starts growing or is that the traditional look of it?
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Hob, yes it's mid winter here, despite the sometimes frosty mornings and cold nights, the days during May-June are often quite sunny and bright, and we sometimes get spring flowering plants in bloom at this time of year. The rainy season is just beginning, but has been known to arrive late (spring-early summer).

Bill, I'm sure with a bit of new growth it'll look a lot less scruffy, but with age the tubercles at the base do become corky, as with numerous other cacti.

CP

JayJay04

Post by JayJay04 »

cactuspolecat wrote:Hob, yes it's mid winter here, despite the sometimes frosty mornings and cold nights, the days during May-June are often quite sunny and bright, and we sometimes get spring flowering plants in bloom at this time of year. The rainy season is just beginning, but has been known to arrive late (spring-early summer).

Bill, I'm sure with a bit of new growth it'll look a lot less scruffy, but with age the tubercles at the base do become corky, as with numerous other cacti.

CP
Do you leave them outside? Mine have been inside for the last 2 months because I don't have a greenhouse and think it's too cold to leave them out without one ? :|
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

No JayJay, I don't! I have a glasshouse, most cacti and succs don't like it cold and wet. This plant, Cintia has tuberous roots and would last around five minutes outdoors here.
Some Echeveria, Graptopetalum, Sedums, many Crassulas, Sempervivum, some Aloes (like mitriformis, and spinosissima), Agaves, Echinopsis, (such as oxygona, formosa, grandis, bruchii, spachianus), I have managed to grow outdoors in the weather. If you have no glasshouse look for the most sheltered (from the rain) spot with a sunny aspect, you'll be surprised what'll survive.
Have a look at the display of succulents outside the glasshouse at the botanical gardens to get a bit of an idea what'll survive outdoors.
Even Disocactus flagelliformis grows and survives outdoors here in Devonport, but doesn't flower well since many cacti like a dry dormant period to aid flowering.
The key is excellent drainage for survival outdoors.

CP

JayJay04

Post by JayJay04 »

cactuspolecat wrote:No JayJay, I don't! I have a glasshouse, most cacti and succs don't like it cold and wet. This plant, Cintia has tuberous roots and would last around five minutes outdoors here.
Some Echeveria, Graptopetalum, Sedums, many Crassulas, Sempervivum, some Aloes (like mitriformis, and spinosissima), Agaves, Echinopsis, (such as oxygona, formosa, grandis, bruchii, spachianus), I have managed to grow outdoors in the weather. If you have no glasshouse look for the most sheltered (from the rain) spot with a sunny aspect, you'll be surprised what'll survive.
Have a look at the display of succulents outside the glasshouse at the botanical gardens to get a bit of an idea what'll survive outdoors.
Even Disocactus flagelliformis grows and survives outdoors here in Devonport, but doesn't flower well since many cacti like a dry dormant period to aid flowering.
The key is excellent drainage for survival outdoors.

CP
glasshouse, thats what I meant :oops: :lol:
I'll just keep them inside next to the window until the weather warms up abit, or until I build a glasshouse :wink: :lol:
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

That's the way JayJay, I think you'd get it a bit colder there in Hobart than I do too, since you're under the mountain. Any snow up there yet?

CP

Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Missing a bud or two is easy. Some cactus insure it by their fast growth.
Others seem to take forever. :O)

Frank
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

That's true Frank.