titanopsis help

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
taliesin

titanopsis help

Post by taliesin »

I have a titanopsis calcarea and am unsure how to look after it, properly that is. Can anyone give me some advice?

Jane
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Jane, Titanopsis are beautiful plants and there are several varieties, very similar, but also very different if you know what I mean.

In the northern hemisphere i.e. England they are in growth when most other plants of the cacti and succulent families are resting. Because of this they are not always the easiest of plants to keep, but well worth the effort.

It will probably be in growth from September to January, but even then they need careful watering and should never be left in saturated soil. At other times of the year, very little water is needed to keep the plant healthy. They also like a mineral soil that is very porous. They grow on limestone escarpments in their native habitat so the addition of a few limestone chippings, if available is also beneficial. They are slow growing plants and should never be forced into growth.

I find them one of those plants that are best left alone to their own devices and they will thrive. Start to give them too much care and attention and they die.

John
taliesin

Post by taliesin »

Hi John
thanks for that. I only discovered its name by chance last night, having had it for a year. I am a sucker for resurrecting plants from stores in town...if I see one that is wilting and sick, I have to do my best, and this was one of them. It rewarded me with three flowers last year, which I thought was lovely.

I have discovered since joining this forum, that cacti and succulents are not a hobby, they are an obsession!!! :D :D :D

God help my bank balance :D
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I have discovered since joining this forum, that cacti and succulents are not a hobby, they are an obsession!!!
I do believe you are right Jane. My frontyard is slowly being transformed into a cactus garden because of my obsession with cold hardies.
I don't mind though because that means less grass to mow :lol:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
iann

Post by iann »

T. calcarea will not grow during the winter in England. If you do water and keep it warm in winter it will probably just stretch out its leaves and look horrible. It will grow in spring and summer, and more strongly in autumn. Expect flowers in autumn. Water sparingly but regularly and provide maximum sun to keep the growth compact. This is the easy Titanopsis.

Other Titanopsis species will grow earlier in spring and later in autumn and be dormant in summer, flowering in late winter or spring. They may try to grow in winter, but water sparingly or they will stretch. Not so easy. Only water very lightly in high summer unless you see strong growth, they rot easily when they are dormant.