Let the grafting begin!

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
TimN

Let the grafting begin!

Post by TimN »

I began what I hope to be my first _successful_ grafts!

Before cutting and slicing...

I took these stocks on January 30th, dipped them immediately in rooting powder and stuck them in their soil. I held them at nearly 100% humidity and 75 F soil temp for the next two weeks. When I pulled one out it had a nice clump of roots. I took the humidity dome off and let them dry a little, now it's time for the grafts and more humidity.

Astrophytum asterias - this is from the pot that sprouted well but have been dieing off since. I'm down to three so I grafted one.

A. caput-medusae - this is one of the better looking seedlings. I have 7 total seedlings and I'll probably graft 5 if I get some early success.

Another A. caput-medusae - this seedling has been rough since the start. The initial two leaves were missing their tips and it's smaller than the rest. I did this one first as practice. We'll see..

P. asseliformis - I've had this ratty looking plant for a couple of years and it's never really done much. I figured I'd try it on a graft.

P. strobiliformis - same story with this one, but I got a little more growth out of it.

And finally two tiny Turbi alonsoii seedlings...

I did an L. williamsii seedling too, but apparently didn't take a picture.

We'll see how this turns out!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
hafezzahruddin

Post by hafezzahruddin »

Is it okay if you don't tie the P. strobiliformis to the pereskiopsis? Won't it come off? :shock:
-Fez
my cacti blog: http://glochid.blogspot.com/
"Oooh! Oooh! Gimme' that cactus!"
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

Looking good :thumbright:

hafezzahruddin wrote:Is it okay if you don't tie the P. strobiliformis to the pereskiopsis? Won't it come off? :shock:
If you use this method it will be OK.
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15634
/Christer
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

i cant wait for my pereskiopsis to get a little bigger so i can graft on them
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
Ken1983

Post by Ken1983 »

Wow wow wow!
Nice looking grafts! I want to try the A.caput-medusae too!
Pictures of my Cactus & Plants
No more photo viewing at the moment.
cortona

Post by cortona »

just a question, with a so short peresk you have a good kik of grow? usualy here grower use 20/25 cm peresk as graft stok, if the grow is the same...i can have more stock with the same cutting donor's plants
TimN

Post by TimN »

I really don't know why I chose that length. It's what I had, I guess. I'm also hoping that I can bury the grafts on some of them in the future rather than de-grafting.

Still finding my way in the grafting world!

This is the only one to survive so far. It was perfectly grafted then I watered it too much, too soon (I think.) It tipped up like you see in the pic and lost some contact with the stock. It's still alive and growing though. Live and learn...

Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim