Aquatic Soil Question. . .

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Plantcelot

Aquatic Soil Question. . .

Post by Plantcelot »

I was reading some of the postings about cactus soil and I noticed that "Aquatic Soil" was mentioned on several of them.

I'm wondering if the aquatic soil that you use for your cactus is the same that I use for my aquarium plants.

I already have a bag of Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil...
Is this :laughing3: the one you are using in your soil mixes?, if not, could I use this one in my cactus soil mix? Thanks :D
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

That's the stuff plancelot! I endorse it fully. I make it about 1/3 of my mix, with 1/3 perlite, and 1/3 sandy loam from my yard. It allows great drainage and dries quickly.
Bill in SC
iann

Post by iann »

Does it look like this?

John might get a kick out of this, the packet it comes in:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes, I think John is quite fond of cats, no? :P

Anyway, doesn't cat litter cause problems because of the perfumes and such in it?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

doesn't cat litter cause problems because of the perfumes and such in it
Apparently not, although it does smell nice the first couple of times you water it ;)
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

The aquatic plant soil is much different. It is much more uniform in size. Also, kitty litter was created to ABSORB water, hence more water retention if you used that. Aquatic plant soil is odorless and inert.. I wouldn't dare use kitty litter in my mix.. No telling what kind of chemicals are in it..
Bill in SC
hob

Post by hob »

i'm trying hard not to comment about next doors cat getting in my sun room for a .......... Image
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Is that a nap Hob? :shock:
Bill in SC
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

[-X Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil looks like this:

:laughing6:

I also have Kitty litter but I don´t think my cat will allow me borrow some of it...

Thanks Bill and everybody else for the replies! I´m glad I have the right stuff so I will be using it shortly in a mix with Bill´s soil recipe. :thumbup:
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Iann and all, yes I use that stuff regularly (to bury the cats in). No, seriously, It is great stuff as Iann obviously knows. Used as it is, I re-root any Haworthias that have lost their roots, something they tend to do on a regular basis. I also mix it into the cactus compost as well. Any temperamental cacti I use a 50-50 mix of John Innes and the cat litter. It is very similar in its properties to a product that can be bought in the UK called Seramis. However Seramis as Iann probably knows is very expensive. If the cat litter is used 'neat' it is virtually impossible to overwater a plant.

PS: I apologise to all the cat lovers I have offended :oops: I don't hate cats, I just dislike them a lot. Give me a dog any day. Good thinking that, I've got the dog lovers back on side anyway. :D :D

Only joking,
John
Last edited by templegatejohn on Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iann

Post by iann »

Cutting corner:

Bill, this stuff is virtually the same as the Aquatic Soil. Also very similar to other calcined clay products such as Oil Dri, they are all very slightly porous and keep their structure in water. Anybody wanting to try cat litter should make sure that it stays as hard granules in water and does not dissolve into slime or go sticky.

--ian
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Iann: It might be virtually the same chemical composition (or it may not), but I have found that kitty litter, or oil dry are both kinda soft, and will crush into powder easily. The aquatic plant soil is fired in a kiln, and seems to retain it's hardness indefinately. I have unpotted plants that have been in it two years and it is just as stable and hard as the day I put it in there. I just can't see kitty litter/oil dry staying stable that long with repeated waterings. Also, many litty litters have a fragrance added to it that I certainly would not want to put my plants in. Though all the mentioned products look similar, I think they are very different, especially where plants are concerned.. This is just my humble opinion, having used all three products (APS, kitty litter, oil dry) quite frequently, for the uses they were intended for.. :-)
Bill in SC
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Bill, the cat litter is excellent stuff. It is a bit of an open secret in the UK, but those in the know have used it for some time with great results. One professional nursery grower in the UK uses nothing else.

John
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

I guess I will have to do some tests Ian/John. My main concern is for long term use, and durability, and I will have to compare the two over a period of time and then report back.. I want to compare them both dry for hardness. I will also soak some, and repeat the hardness test. Heck, I hope the kitty litter meets the need as it is much cheaper, but you won't convince this hardhead without me testing first!! :lol:
BB
iann

Post by iann »

Have you got Tescos in South Carolina now, Bill? Most clay cat litters are unfired clay, just like the sticky clods you find in the garden, at least in states that aren't made of sand ;)

--ian