Adenium obesum leaf loss

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Rob

Adenium obesum leaf loss

Post by Rob »

I've got an Adenium obesum that's at least 3-4 years old, but has never flowered. It's in full sun all summer outside (potted) and will seem to be doing fine - lots of new growth, etc. and then all of sudden all the leaves will start turning yellow and brown and fall off. New ones will grow back and the cylce will repeat. I don't think it's getting too much water as I usually move it to a covered area if there's rain and try to keep it to a once every week or two watering schedule.

Any ideas why it keeps going through this leaf loss thing and has never flowered?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob, I have moved both of your topics to Growing help in the succulent section where you may get a better response

John
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Man, you can water Adenium obesum EVERY OTHER DAY during the growing season, and it will love you for it. It also likes a higher nitrogen content than cactus do. I suspect your's is losing leaves due to LACK of water. Try watering more often and see if it does better. Remember, COMPLETELY DRY during it's dormant season, and warm..
Bill in SC
Rob

Adenium

Post by Rob »

Ah, that would explain it then! I keep reading about how rot-prone adeniums are, but I guess they mean while they're in their dormant stage in the winter. I've given it a nice watering this morning, and I'll try the "more water" approach the rest of the summer!
Rob
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

You know, it's ironic. I went to a flower/plant show this spring, and there was this guy there selling Adenium obesums. He had one HUGE plant in a tub that was obviously very old and well grown. He was telling everyone he sold a plant to how Adenium was a desert plant, and should be treated as such at all times. Very little water at all times. I did not buy a plant from him, but found a much larger Adenium obesum at Wal-mart much cheaper than he was selling them. When I got home with my plant, I started the research that led me to this page:

http://www.cactus-mall.com/andre/large.html

This comprehensive page tells all about the cultivation of these plants, and I consider it my Adenium Bible..
Bookmark this page for future referrence..
Bill in SC
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thank you guys for discussing this as I got one of these for the wife and had no clue what to do with it. Mine has lost all of its leaves too. I will start watering it more and then stop in the late fall. Does that sound right? When do they stop growing?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

I guess late fall Daiv. This is my first one. It is a plant that HAS to be kept WARM and DRY in winter. All the info needed to it's care is in the link..
Bill in SC
fred

Post by fred »

I did the same thing to my poor Adenium. After all its common name is desert rose, so I treated it like a cactus. Very slow growth and no blooms. Leaves would yellow and fall from the bottom up. Then I learned the truth and I now set my desert rose down into a bucket of water and let it soak about every two or three days. It sprang to life and is now flourishing and blooming. :o