ID needed please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Matthew1381

ID needed please

Post by Matthew1381 »

hello,

I was told this is an Echinopsis Huascha
Can anyone confirm the ID ?

Thanks in advance

:? Matthew

[/url]Image

[url]
Last edited by Matthew1381 on Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I'm by no means an expert but from your photo I'd have to believe you have the ID correct.

Of course I may be wrong and if I am I'll know about it :wink:

Bill
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

It certainly looks like it to me Bill, but there are also several Echinocereus of similar appearance.

Why have you got reason to doubt the person who told you Matthew?

The plant does look like Echinopsis huascha, perhaps when you get a flower a positive ID will be easier. There are so many hybrids of Echinopsis that without flowers or spine count it is often impossible to tell.

John
Matthew1381

Post by Matthew1381 »

Thank you Bill & John for your posts.

Well, I bought many of these plants at a weekend market and the vendor didn't even have a clue as to its genus let alone an ID !! All he knew was that its a cactus with lovely flowers... :lol: :lol:
Looked up the ID and posted a query on Cacti Gallery but didnt get a definitive response there.
Think there are many species ( not sure whether I am using here the right term) to E.Huascha, thereby adding to the confusion.

Will post again when it flowers.

BTW
Here in Perth there not that many reliable cacti sources, one has to obtain cacti from anywhere and everywhere I guess.
:(

Rgds / Cheers
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Matthew,
I feel your pain! Identification is not easy in the least of many cacti. I've been working on this site for several years now and have a long way to go!

The great lack of ID materal was the inspiration for launching the page, while the sheer volume of plants that needed id led to this forum.

Luckily now we've got a great group here getting more practiced at the task on a daily basis.

So keep posting you plants and we'll keep working on the ID. Before you know it, you'll be helping someone else ID their plants.

Daiv