Duwei strange color

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Michael

Duwei strange color

Post by Michael »

Hi, everybody!
I have a Mamm. duwei and i noticed that it started changing color at the base, I mean near the ground. On top is light green, but at the bottom it is dark red, sour cherry red. Is this normal, and if not what should i do? The rest of the plant seems ok, and it does not seem soft, like it is rotting. Also, the meaty bits under the spikes are dark green no mater if they are on the top or in the area where the color changed. Thanks for any help. :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

:-k I am scratching my head on this one. So the base is reddish, but the top is green? That is just the opposite of what I'd expect. If the higher parts showed a reddish tint, I would say it was from strong light exposure. Someone else my have other thoughts on this.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

G'day Michael, this is not too unusual for the 'soft bodied' Mamms to take on a pinkish red tinge at the base and I've ofter seen this, and I've never worried about it, as long as the roots are healthy and the flesh of the plant is firm. if you are concerned, take it out of it's pot and check it, let the roots dry off if they are wet and if it's okay re-pot it!

Here's something to remember if you don't already know,... I used the term 'soft bodied' by which I mean those mamms that have hooked spines (eg guelzowiana, bocasana, duwei, etc) and are usually quite fleshy, they are more prone to rot, so extra drainage material in their pots will not go astray.

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Thank you, everybody, for all the help, but maybe i wasn't clear enough. It is not a pinkish colour, it is dark red, I would think it is rot, but the body is solid, it isn't squishy or soft. And lately I think it maybe started to spread upwards, up the body towards the top. I'll try to take a photo, but my camera can't really get details up close, i tried a few times already.

P.S. Thanks for that tip on "soft mamms" :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes a photo might help even if it is not the best quality.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti