Hi All! Newbie with Edithcolea grandis

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
NOODLEME20

Hi All! Newbie with Edithcolea grandis

Post by NOODLEME20 »

Hi!

I am so excited to find this board! I love houseplants, but have been scouring the net for the Edithcolea grandis (I've heard it called Persian Carpet Flower). I finally found it at Logee's and ordered one today! My brother is also getting me another for Christmas, and I was wondering if anyone has experience growing this, and any other tips to share?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Jen
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Jen-

I had a healthy Edithcolea grandis for a few years and loved the flowers. It died very suddenly in the early fall one year, either from too much water or cold overnight temps, or both. The whole thing turned to mush in about 2 days. Very dramatic!

It seems to be a very sensitive plant. Jerry Barad gave me advice on ho to grow it which I didn't follow, obviously. But for the life of me I can't remember what the advice was. Hopefully someone else on here knows.

peterb
Zone 9
iann

Post by iann »

Warmth and very good drainage. Bright light but I don't think it needs blazing sun all day.
--ian
NOODLEME20

Post by NOODLEME20 »

What kind of soil to use? And where can I get it at (the soil)?

Thanks to all who responded!

Jen
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

NOODLEME20 wrote:What kind of soil to use? And where can I get it at (the soil)?

Thanks to all who responded!

Jen
Your going to open a can of worms with that question :lol: Most people have there own mixture that they mix up themselves. I personnelly use cheap potting soil then add chicken grit (crushed cherry granite) and some perlite to obtain a well draining soil mixture.

Click on the tab at the top of the page that says "Growing Cacti" which will give some info on the soil.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
iann

Post by iann »

cheap potting soil then add chicken grit (crushed cherry granite) and some perlite
On Edithcolea? I use whatever leftover soil I have, loam, peat, or a combination, plus grit to taste, but only on my thug succulents like Delospermas. Some plants will rot in such a soil, well drained or not, and I think Edithcolea would.
--ian
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- Try coarse, gritty sand, Pennsylvania weathered/crushed limestone and perlite/pumice with just the tiniest bit of cactus mix thrown in, maybe 10% or so.

Grow in a shallow pan so the roots can spread and so there isn't a substrate of wet mix under the plant after watering.

Be ready to take cuttings at the first sign of rot.

peterb
Zone 9
NOODLEME20

Post by NOODLEME20 »

Thank you all so much. I have grow lights, so I am going to put it under those, until summer, and then hang it in our apple tree.
I have an epi that I neglected (forgot) about in our bay window, and am trying to nurse that puppy back to health. Live and learn, live and learn :)
xerophyte_nyc

Post by xerophyte_nyc »

The key with Edithcolea believe it or not is to keep it constantly moist during the heat of the summer, along with fertilizing. Watering should be withheld during the dormant dry season. They can take light frosts but it is safer to keep them on the warm side in the winter.
stanislas

Post by stanislas »

xerophyte_nyc wrote:The key with Edithcolea believe it or not is to keep it constantly moist during the heat of the summer, along with fertilizing. Watering should be withheld during the dormant dry season. They can take light frosts but it is safer to keep them on the warm side in the winter.
I have the same experience: I never let the soil dry in summer. In fact I water daily. They have flowered well this year (albeit under artificial light and lots of heat)
In winter I would keep them at least 20°C in winter and water once in a while when it starts to get soft.