help with my rebutia

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
vivian157

help with my rebutia

Post by vivian157 »

well,i'm new here. i've started growing cactus about 2 years ago. My cactus is Rebutia (i think so :? )it's just as big as an orange, but it keep growing new offsets around its base while i'm desperate for some flowers. So if anyone knows how to make it grow flowers, please help me!
hob

Post by hob »

first of all .....welcome to cactiguide :D

wow where to start.....i have no idea about the climate over there, flowering is a lot to do with the winter rest period

just enough warmth to keep the frost off and little or no water during winter months should do it, if you could let us know about winter temps there and where you keep it (indoors / outside /greenhouse / ect) it might help.
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
iann

Post by iann »

just enough warmth to keep the frost off
I don't think Vietnam does "frost" :) Might be hard to flower this species without a winter.
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

It may sound crazy, but if you could put it in the refrigerator at night, it may induce flowering. You were just mentioning the one plant which would make this a feasible option..
Bill in SC
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Welcome Vivian! So far that is some good advice on triggering a bloom. Can you post a picture of your plant?

Anyway, you should also be able to do especially well with the different Epi-cacti. They have some of the largest blooms of all the cacti.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
readymade

Post by readymade »

My guess is that Bill is right. I've seen how Ron at RealRebutias grows his beautiful crop. They don't even need light in the winter. I really think you could stick it in the refrigerator and forget about it. The only potential problem is the humidity level. And stale air--but if you opened your fridge often enough, maybe it would be OK. I don't know how you feel about having a prickly cactus plant next to your milk and cabbage!

You'll have to wind down on the watering first, though.

Rebutias in particular really seem to require that cold rest to bloom.

You should post a picture first, though, so we can be sure it's a rebutia.