Weird idea to grow sions that lack chlorophyll . . .

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Plantcelot

Weird idea to grow sions that lack chlorophyll . . .

Post by Plantcelot »

:sign7: I just got this weird idea, I wonder if it could work...

The idea is to grow those grafted sions that lack chlorophyll in a pot by themselves (with no hosts) by providing them with a chlorophyll powder supplement mixed in the soil (those easily available at vitamin stores) and using some chlorophyll liquid supplement at every watering.

Have someone tried something like this, do you think my idea could work?
atsar

Post by atsar »

could always give it a try with that little cactus that came in my keyring,assuming of course i can find the powder to mix in with it
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

Hello atsar, I'm not sure if it will work, if was just an idea.

If you want to experiment with it you just have to go to a health or vitamin store and ask them for the chlorophyll in liquid and capsule forms.

You'll open the capsules I guess from the whole container and mix it with your cactus soil.

Every week you add some of the liquid chlorophyll to the water and water your plant with it.

If the plant starts to look bad just graft it on top of a host plant(look at the links I already gave you at your posting.

Maybe I'll do the experiment too and find out if it actually works . . . :laughing6:
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Just guessing, NO it will NOT work.. Do try it and let us know though. Never know..
Bill in SC
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I never knew there was such a thing. What do health food places use it for?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

Health stores sell them by stating the following:

"Chlorophyll may help improve immune response, deodorize the body and help cleanse the blood of impurities."

I have no idea if this actually works for humans, or cactus . . .

It is expensive so I was now looking for ways to extract the chlorophyll from leaves by myself, but they use acetone and other things to accomplish this.

I guess I better buy them instead of messing it up. I will do the experiment but I will save the plant if it doesn't look good by reattaching it back to its host, let´s see what happens . . . :roll:
Spikey1007

Post by Spikey1007 »

Its a great idea but i doubt it will work even if the roots suck up the water and chlorophyll how will it get into the chloroplasts :?:
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

Hello Spikey, To tell you the truth chloroplasts did not come to my mind when I goy the idea. I’m not a scientist, I just get weird ideas once in a while and some of them work while others fail. I just thought that it was an easy experiment to do and that if something went wrong I only needed to reattach the sion back to its host. I got my chlorophyll by mail last Monday (hard to get without additives) but my summer vacation is over and I just have to squeeze my time just to try it. I also think that the idea will be unlikely to succeed, but nothing to lose and some knowledge to gain ... :)

Here are the unopened materials:

Spikey1007

Post by Spikey1007 »

Yeah i see what you mean about the added ingredeints "internal deodorant" well plants can survive of some rather odd things eg beer, urine, orange juice.