Buying greenhouse

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Mark

Buying greenhouse

Post by Mark »

Do you think this greenhouse will work here in the El Paso climate during the winter. I just want it to put some of my potted plants in there during the winter.
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN ... reenhouses

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Sorry Mark, I can't really advise you, since I have no idea what your climate is like, I live half a world away... I'm pretty sure It'll work here in Tas though, There are others that could probably help you with advice on G/H for your area.

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Mark:
Get the one I did from Harbor Freight. You can get a 10X12 for less than the one you posted. The Harbor Freight one is a great, well designed GH, from good materials. This is the BEST greenhouse deal you will find anywhere, guaranteed!
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/w ... &Submit=Go
Bill in SC
clemons

Post by clemons »

bill ,,just ordered the small one..41by 41by 41..9 bucks..cant beat it for just a few cactiussess lol..if nothin else ican use it to start tomato plants early..
like the farmer said to the tater,,i,ll plant ya now and i,ll dig ya later..
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Small as it is, I just don't know how they can sell it for only $9.99. It would cost that much just to buy a plastic tarp!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
clemons

Post by clemons »

daiv..did you see it? ? its on bills site..9 some bucks..unreal..
like the farmer said to the tater,,i,ll plant ya now and i,ll dig ya later..
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

I was somewhat mystified when Franj stated that the Harbor Freight GH he ordered was cheaply made. I was very plesantly surprise at the material quality of mine. All tubuler extruded aluminum framing. And with same material braces provided, it is quite stout. Maybe he got an earlier model or something. The $9.99 would probably only be good enough for tomato propagation. That would be fine. I can't see keeping many C$S in it conveniently..
Bill in SC
Franj

Post by Franj »

Hi Bill,

The ones I bought were the 8' x 6'. Perhaps the larger ones are better made. One of the things that aggravated me about mine is the instructions were so poor I couldn't even figure out how to put them together. Still I ended up with an 8' x 12' for about the same amount of money.

Franj
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi-

A quick google search on “passive solar greenhouse design” results in a few websites that have great information on this option. Many growers in the southwest (as well as far more frigid climes) report rarely, if ever, having to use supplemental heat sources when using passive solar design principles.

Peterb
Mark

Post by Mark »

That is what I was thinking will I need to heat it in the winter, but I think Peter already answered that questioin.

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Can I grow other thing in my greenhouse like orchids?

Mark
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

You can grow anything whose requirements fall within the temperature range of the GH..
Bill in SC
BTW: I agree franj, The Harbor Freight instructions were indeed wild... For anyone who gets one, I suggest reading/translating the instructions from front to back at least twice before assembling.. :-) :lol:
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ok thanks.

Mark