little seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Dmyerswny

little seedlings

Post by Dmyerswny »

These are my seedlings. Most are 2 months old. I did a bad thing and didnt label any of them! I do know what a few are. (maybe) My camera decided it wasn't going to focus so they're pretty blurry! I got all of them from TimN it was a great deal!
Edit- I got some of these seeds (melocactus peruvianis) from doctor289 straight out of Peru he sent me a ton! I think they're the next to last and fourth pic down.
these are my favorite! epithlantha maybe?
ImageImage
These two are lophs!
better pic of astrophylum
Last edited by Dmyerswny on Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thirsty for knowledge. Please water me more than your cactus!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ahh. Labels are certainly helpful. Of course, you can label them and then mix up the labels. That is why I have seedlings that I don't know what they are.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tony

Post by Tony »

Lookin good! 8)
Well knowing they all came from Tim narrows it down a bit, I think he told me he has seed from thirty species this year.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Dmyerswny

Post by Dmyerswny »

Yes it does! I have a list of what they are. I'm sure it'll be easier to tell which is which when they get bigger. I have more than that even but got discouraged from taking more pictures thanks to my camera. I had a section that nothing sprouted but algae. I cut it off the crate, I may have forgot to put any seeds in it I'm starting to think! I also tried a seedling graft today hopfully I can put it under lights and it will take!Y
TimN

Post by TimN »

Wow, those look great! Very healthy looking. Glad they worked out. I don't think I have the list of what I sent you on this computer. The Astros are always easy! I saw some of those in the pictures. The Lophs are easy too. Other than that, I'm stumped...

I've done well keeping the labels with the seedlings for a year or two, but when I start repotting into bigger pots I lose a few labels. I like to think of it as a surprise for later!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
ThePackrat

Post by ThePackrat »

Green specks of joy! :D
I'm starting to see development on a few of my seedtrays aswell. Looks like most of the Astro's I seeded have started germinating and plumping up into pretty little seedlings.

Still no or little signs of life from the others, but I'm patient.. sort of.

8)
Dmyerswny

Post by Dmyerswny »

So a few of these are starting to rot... Time to take them out of the bag I presume. Photo update later.
iann

Post by iann »

More light, less water (and less peat!), keep them warm and they shouldn't rot. Plants in bags don't need to be in saturated soil. The humid air lets them develop nicely in just moist soil.

This is one of the things I find difficult to manage with tiny seedlings in the open air. They need more water in the soil because they are losing so much to evaporation and they are more likely to die. If you take them out of a completely enclosed environment, at least try to keep them somewhere still quite humid like a propagator.
--ian
Dmyerswny

Post by Dmyerswny »

I'll agree with you on lighting I've noticed they are a bit etoliated. I was hoping that would iron out ok since they're so small yet. I have only watered them once about a month and a half ago though so I don't get the less water thing. Less peat? I thought I didn't have too much in there as I put a ton of perlite in my mix. I'm sure there's too much if you say there is though. I already took them out of the bag because I had about 6 rotten seedlings. You think it's too early??? It's been about 6 months I'd say...
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

I take my seedlings out of the bags at 3 months whether they like or not!
iann

Post by iann »

Six months in the bag is enough for most, less than ideal for a few very slow species. I'm just saying that in the right conditions they can stay in there for years without rotting, and will benefit from it. So for future attempts perhaps including very slow species you might want to try adjusting things slightly. Maybe there is a particular size that is optimal for bringing seedlings out into the open? A half inch? Maybe it is different for every species.
--ian
Dmyerswny

Post by Dmyerswny »

Thanks iann and Andy. This was my first attempt at seeds so I'm sure I'll be getting some fine tuning in. I got a bucket of small gravel I wanna throw into the Soil mix for the next round of seedlings. I might also just do like you Andy and take them out when I say it's time to come out.
Cacti77

2nd One

Post by Cacti77 »

The 2nd ones look like a Mammillaria species I am growing, I forget the species name though...or maybe it was a Rebutia species.

Either way I will have to check my grow log and see what I planted, I will get back to this post later.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

They look great.. :D There all so cute when there tiny.
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
Cacti77

Re: 2nd One

Post by Cacti77 »

Cacti77 wrote:The 2nd ones look like a Mammillaria species I am growing, I forget the species name though...or maybe it was a Rebutia species.

Either way I will have to check my grow log and see what I planted, I will get back to this post later.
I think yours are either Mammillaria columbiana or something close to that, or a Rebutia species but that's just judging from appearance. Time will tell you what your unidentified ones are, it will be fun to wait and see what they grow up to be.

They sure look similar to my seedlings that are M. columbiana. I harvested these seeds myself so I know they're M. columbiana.

I just watered the soil so it only looks wet because of that, I still mist my seedlings two times a day. They grow under 10,000 lumens which comes from some nice fluorescent tubes. I keep them 18 inches away from the tubes because that has been working fine, the only problem has been fungus gnats.

These are not all of my seeds, I will have to get some pictures posted of the Rebutia seedlings I have. But until then do a search and check out how some Rebutia seedlings look, I hope this helps you. I feel for you because I have a large collection of seedlings growing and I got them from a friend but she didn't label them ](*,)