what is this

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Kenny

what is this

Post by Kenny »

anyone know what this is?Image
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Looks like rot to me.. You can do surgery on it, and treat with a fungicide or cinnamon.. It may save it..
Bill in SC
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

surgery u mean to cut it out? wont that leave a big gaping wound?
iann

Post by iann »

Might be a scorched area which has now collapsed.
wont that leave a big gaping wound?
You already have a big gaping wound. The choice might be between a big gaping wound in a live cactus or a big gaping wound in a dead cactus. If it is rotting inside then it will likely spread until the cactus is dead. This type of rot must be cut out.

If it is just a scorched area then there is probably not much you can do. Areas which were overheated are already dead, but the rest of the plant may live. At worst you can cut off the whole top of the plant and wait for pups to form lower down. That will happen naturally if the vascular bundle to the apex is dead. The apex of your plant looks pretty messed up already, with deformed growth coming through.
--ian
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

ok think i will cut the top off as there is another spot on the other side any advice how to take care of it after i do this? i really like this cactus so i will do whatever i can to save it
i dont like to let things die if i can help it
iann

Post by iann »

Yes, if its gone right through chop the top off completely. Look for clear green flesh inside. Cut a bit further if it is still brown or black. Sterilise your knife or use a clean knife for the final cut so that you don't infect the healthy flesh. I dust with sulphur, some people use other fungicides, some people use none, but make sure the cut piece stays absolutely dry until it forms a firm skin. Don't water for this time, to avoid forcing sap up into the cut part of the cactus.
--ian
Prickly_Jim

Post by Prickly_Jim »

Think ive got the same problem in one of my plants...

The wound is slowly getting bigger so think i need some action to.

If i cut out the rot (which will leave a V shape in the side of the cactus) will this 'fill' back in or remain a cut ?

If this fails then i will have to chop off the cactus above the rot, when i have cut it off do i just replant into a new pot or do i need to let the end dry and heal slightly ? Does it need any treatment ?

Thanks
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

it was in there pretty deep, u can tell i am not a surgeon but i got down to some nice flesh in there, it was also very wet, now do i keep it inside now that i have butchered it? and what should i watch for? i am very determined to keep this cactus alive so any advice whatsoever will be appreciated
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Jim, There is no filling in, unfortunately. Damaged cacti stays damaged. If you do end up cutting it, remember to always let the cut part heal over for about 10 days or so. Then just pot it deep enough to keep it from falling over. Then keep it out of direct sun for a while.

Kenny, likewise on yours. Let it heal over in a warm dry place with indirect light. Then just care for it as you would any other cactus. It will do the rest.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti