I have a few questions......

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
clemons

Post by clemons »

the trouble i see with tongs is you mite damage the cactus,,you may cut the body with the edge of the tongs or you mite drive some of the spines into the cactus itself..seems too that tongs would be clumsy in handling large cacti also..
like the farmer said to the tater,,i,ll plant ya now and i,ll dig ya later..
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

About like determining what type of cacti soil is best. You have to use your better judgement and learning experience.

With what I grow tongs are essentual, newspaper is a pain to get loose from opuntiods and gloves are useless against there sharp spines and get thrown away once there imbedded with gochlids :wink:

Determine what is best and go with it. I do agree that tongs are useless on larger plants, I do have a few of them :)
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Charis

Cacti adventures

Post by Charis »

Cool. I have to go find and mix some soil. :) As for my spines I just touch delicately. I never use gloves, towels, or newspaper. :P I guess I am an adventerous person when I touch my cacti. Thanks for the info keep it coming. 8)
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

You can get away with handling most cactus with spines by hand ok.. However, when you get in glochidous territory, the hand method is foolish at best.
Bill in SC
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hey Bill what are you going to do with those?

Mark
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Good luck with the transplanting, the advice is good on here! I'm with bill in SC Tongs almost without exception except when I use my hands :wink: Not if there is a glochid about though! I've never damaged a cactus yet with tongs :)
Perry

'No-one can make me feel inferior without my consent'

Eleanor Roosevelt
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Mark wrote:Hey Bill what are you going to do with those?
Mark
I had to thin some from in front of my gas meter and transplanted them along the westside of my house. Come spring I'll have a pichup load to give away.
Needing some more :?:
Bill

Mark

Post by Mark »

What type are type are they? I think maybe I could use a couple more, but until next spring.

Mark
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Mark wrote:What type are type are they? I think maybe I could use a couple more, but until next spring.

Mark
Mark,

The cacti are O. mackensenii in the picture. How are yours doing?
Bill

Mark

Post by Mark »

Most of them have produced 1 or 2 new pads, except one maybe it needs more sun.

Mark
neonj

Post by neonj »

I usually use my bare hands but that's because I just don't remeber the gloves or thongs until it's too late and I'm deep in the spines. After that I always tell myself that next time I'm gona wear some good gloves. I spend most of my day at work with a pushpin trying to dig the spines out of my hands. I've always got spines in my hands and I hate it. I have a ton of the opuntia micro... and we all know the interesting gifts those puppies like to give you. They don't really hurt but they annoy the living s#@t out of you.

Jeffrey
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Jeffery wrote:
They don't really hurt but they annoy the living s#@t out of you.
Been there, done that and won lots of t-shirts :lol:
I now remember my tongs :wink:
Bill