Root Establishment

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Ciriaca

Root Establishment

Post by Ciriaca »

Just out of curiosity, approximately how long after repotting a bare-rooted cactus does it take for the roots to settle in?
Last edited by Ciriaca on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

This question has come up before. It can be different in every case. Some cacti get settled in and establish themselves in a week or two. Others seem to lag on for months and do nothing. In the case of the latter, I've had success with restarting the whole process.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Ciriaca

Post by Ciriaca »

daiv,

Is there a way to help the roots to establish during the repotting process? I may have missed a step.
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

I think a lot of it has to do with temperature. If it is real warm , or hot, naturally the plants will start up quicker. Just be sure to wait about a week to water them after planting bare rooted plants. This gives any damaged roots a chance to heal before they touch water.. I have some plants coming in this week from Miles. I am somewhat concerned that they may not have time to settle in, or produce any new roots before I cease watering for the year. Not to worry though as Miles' plants will be large enough to withhold water until spring... I would still like to get one or two waterings in for them before I cut them off for the year..
bill in SC
Ciriaca

Post by Ciriaca »

Bill in SC said :
I would still like to get one or two waterings in for them before I cut them off for the year..
That was my exact thought!

I was concerned that the wait before watering to allow the roots and stem to heal prevented any moisture to draw the roots into the soil, thus rendering my plant a little insecure and vulnerable. But still I waited, realizing the importance. Upon its first watering, my plant immediately drank it up. A few more waterings will help before cut-off season. This should tighten up any root instability in the mean-time.

Thanks! 8)
fred

Post by fred »

Bill,
Are you getting that green sulcorebutia raushii? Post a pic when it comes! They are beauties and I've thought about getting one but hesitate because of the late season. :(
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

I'll post it when it arrives Fred!
BB in SC
taliesin

Post by taliesin »

I had some cuttings/offsets sent to me this year and they took about three weeks; this was in july
someone pass me the tweezers!