Critter thread

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

^ Sounds more like Hobo and Brown Recluse spiders. I have never heard of anyone bitten by a Black Widow, which generally seem to prefer life outdoors. As a friend commented, "The Black Widow's potential for lethality diminished markedly with the advent of indoor plumbing".
peter

Post by peter »

GermanStar wrote:As a friend commented, "The Black Widow's potential for lethality diminished markedly with the advent of indoor plumbing".
This is maybe a case for the mythbusters!
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

I've spent a considerable number of years residing in areas where they are fairly common, and have never heard of anyone bitten, even second or third hand. As I alluded to in a prior post, that does not apply to Hobo and Brown Recluse spiders, which inflict horrifying bites with some regularity.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Mother nature at its finest :P nothing better than motherhood.. LOL!! Cassie and i always pick the largest burrowing wolf spider hole to dig up in the summer to find a big female to keep as a pet. This one however already was outa her burrow due to ants invading it looking to cash in on her eggsack. She was just outside the burrow entrence, babies emerging from the eggsack and hitchin a ride onback till they have there first molt.

A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

GermanStar wrote:I've spent a considerable number of years residing in areas where they are fairly common, and have never heard of anyone bitten, even second or third hand. As I alluded to in a prior post, that does not apply to Hobo and Brown Recluse spiders, which inflict horrifying bites with some regularity.
Black Widows are very common around here some get real nice size. That female looks like she has either not eatin very well or she has already laid several egg sacks reason for the shrunkin abdomen. 8)
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Yes, she's really small. So small that I could only make out the hourglass with the camera zoom. She's no more than an inch across toe to toe. I'm not sure what the egg sacks look like, but I'll have a look around.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

GermanStar wrote:I've spent a considerable number of years residing in areas where they are fairly common, and have never heard of anyone bitten, even second or third hand. As I alluded to in a prior post, that does not apply to Hobo and Brown Recluse spiders, which inflict horrifying bites with some regularity.
Sorry, but a lady I know in Black Canyon City got bitten by a black widow last year in her ironically enough garage. They are out here and they will bite you and YOU probably won't die if you get bitten, but you might want too.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

^ OK, well there's one.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

^ Just saying, because so far I have met two people that got bitten by spiders. One was from a Black Widow and the other wasn't sure what kind it was, but it didnt make them sick.
Just a little red dot that eventually disappeared (maybe one of the relatives of brown recluses?)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Pretty common to feel watched while out in the backyard down here, here's 2 photos from the old house.
Both thumbnails and links to larger ones.

Harmless little praying mantis found just above the backdoor
http://www.snowfella-modworks.com/files ... photo6.jpg

Harmless not so little Huntsman spider having a peek from the awning.
http://www.snowfella-modworks.com/files ... photo7.jpg
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Can anyone ID this little guy?
DSC_8809.JPG
DSC_8809.JPG (39.46 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
DSC_8806.JPG
DSC_8806.JPG (43.31 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
He is very long and skinny (if he is more than a centimeter wide I would be surprised), maybe he is a youngster? I don't do snakes well...
Last edited by Harriet on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

No idea, but I like him! Nice pic.
cactusveda

Post by cactusveda »

the green vine snake found at my farm

bitten by cactus collection bug
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Great pics! I don't know that one off hand Harriett.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
John C

Post by John C »

Beautiful pics!

Harriet, Almost looks like a common cornsnake to me. But I'm not entirely sure. If it is, it is completely harmless and are very popular pets.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"