ill Astrophytum asterias

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
nachtkrabb

ill Astrophytum asterias

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi,
about two months ago I got an Astrophytum asterias without roots and half starved, but with a hint of "Schmierlaus" (white, woolly lice).
I cleaned him of the lice, gave him fresh cactus soil, and watered him very cautiously - after a week of diet.

Now the lice have come back. And as they seemed to stay on the bottom side of the cacs, I took him out of the soil again and cleaned away all lice.

This is how he looks:
Please mark the brown areas at the brim on the bottom side (pic3), that look similar to a hole. Maybe he's rotting...?

The cacs is still without soil, to have an easier control of the lice. How would you preceed? Would you give him up, or give him another try?
Thanks
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
hablu

Post by hablu »

:( That looks bad Ruth. Not good at all. What I would do: a very thouroughly soapbath and after that dry it for several weeks. if there's life after that I would pot it up in a very well drained sandy soil. Something like that, but maybe it is to late. Harry
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes, I think Harry's advice is good.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
mavaz

Post by mavaz »

Hi Ruth:

As Daiv, I also agree with Harry. I´ve had the same pest trouble:

I use a tiny paint-brush with a solution of soap and with the help of a magnifying glass I try to remove carefully the lice. I use a home spraygun (of course, without insecticide) with just water and sprayed to wash off the excess of soap and the remaining lice. Then I let the cacti in a dry place away of direct sun for two weeks. Then I repot the cacti in a sandy soil mix. I watered only a week after repot. Be sure to discard the original soil and the pot where you find the cacti with lice.

Good luck.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Thank you for the advice. Up to now, I used denatured alcohol on a Qtip to get rid of the lice. But with the soap bath I should get rid of the eggs and very small beasts, too.
The only thing I worry about is the brown hole. I guess it is not very healthy if water gets into this.
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
hablu

Post by hablu »

Ruth, for the brown hole. take a knife and cut it out. Harry
taliesin

Post by taliesin »

I have just had one given me like that; told if I could do anything with it then take it. I have given it a good spray with a systemic insecticide and will hope to revive it. This one gives protection for up to six weeks.
someone pass me the tweezers!
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi, Harry,
I have taken your advice plus my knife. Now I am sure he's a goner... :cry: Too much rot, not enough life.
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

:cry: Sorry to hear it's gone.

You gave it your best to save it so you did well. We all loose one once in awhile.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
hablu

Post by hablu »

To bad Ruth., but that's ....eh...life. Harry
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Yes, that's life - and I won't forget it is "only" a cactus. So no tears, no funeral. But the next chance.
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
ondy

Post by ondy »

Ug,

Looks like a lot of Astros I've killed. It brings back nightmares.

Andy