Soil

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
yourvocalcords

Soil

Post by yourvocalcords »

Hi. I was just given a pot of 3 cacti as a gift recently, and they need to be repotted. I read the page on growing cacti, and about making your own soil. But I'm new to all of this, so I'm pretty lost when it comes to types of soil and how to mix them. And knowing what proportions of types of soils are best for cacti and their sizes, types and everything like that. Is there a place I can buy (online or a store) cactus soil mix? Are there certain brands?

I would google, but I want to know what YOU guys recommend. I'm sure you guys where to get the best. :D

Thank you! :)
iann

Post by iann »

Whatever you get, make sure it is roughly half coarse material like grit, pumice, or perlite. As for brands, I'll stick my neck out and suggest that the majority of people on here don't use anything straight out of a bag, but mix their own soil.
--ian
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Asking what is the best and you'll get variable answers as most have there own preferred mixture. Get it so it drains freely and start experimenting to find what your comfortable with.
As Iann has stated, no matter what you buy you will find yourself adding grit and such to make it fast draining.
I've used Schultz cactus soil and regular potting soil both with great results after I added grit (chicken grit). I also add a little bonemeal to the soil mixture.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
yourvocalcords

Post by yourvocalcords »

Thank you for your replies. Looks like I'll have some experimenting to do ;)