Tephrocactus articulatus var. papyracanthus . . .

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Cereusly

Tephrocactus articulatus var. papyracanthus . . .

Post by Cereusly »

. . . starting new growth after a three year wait. Cereusly, Tony

Tephrocactus articulatus var. papyracanthus

Tony

Post by Tony »

Three years!? :shock:
I probably would have piched it over the fence long ago. :lol:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Cereusly

Post by Cereusly »

Don't know why it took this long. It had no roots when the cutting was given to me, but thee year was a test of my patience. Cereusly, it was!
promethean_spark

Wow

Post by promethean_spark »

That's really slow, mine gets pads knocked off all the time and the only ones that haven't grown new pads yet were from last summer. The spines on yours are superior though, it may be a less prolific cultivar.
amanzed

truly exceptional spines

Post by amanzed »

Truly exceptional spines!
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

I think that might be T. aoracanthus rather than T. articulatus. :?: That would fit with the slower growth you describe, too.
peterb

Post by peterb »

wow, what an incredible plant!

peterb
Zone 9
iann

Post by iann »

phil_SK wrote:I think that might be T. aoracanthus rather than T. articulatus. :?: That would fit with the slower growth you describe, too.
I was thinking the same thing.
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

You guys have me thinking now. I did not know that T. aoracanthus had flat (papery) spines too. Maybe because most people like me assume that papery spines indicate articulatus???
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

T. aoracanthus spines are thinner and stiffer and darker (and more of them?), but still flattened and bendy. The bodies are also subtly different.

New growth produced at this time of year is not ideal because it won't mature properly. Maybe you can persuade it to ripen over winter in California, or maybe it will pick up again in spring, but you might be left with a stunted little pad.
--ian
Ken Shaw

Post by Ken Shaw »

Yow! Scary pictures! The pups are bursting out like something from "Alien!"
"I like the spikey ones
better than the squashy ones"
amanzed

T articulatus vs aoracanthus

Post by amanzed »

I'm guessing there must be different types of Tephrocactus aoracanthus, then? Because mine (ex Caro Desert Nursery) does not have flattened spines at all... they're more like double-length toothpicks. Definitely not "papyracanth-y"
psi

Post by psi »

I wonder if I have a T. aoracanthus too, growth seems fairly slow and the spines are somewhat dark. I tried grafting a pup to pereskiosis at one point but no luck there.
iann

Re: T articulatus vs aoracanthus

Post by iann »

amanzed wrote:I'm guessing there must be different types of Tephrocactus aoracanthus, then? Because mine (ex Caro Desert Nursery) does not have flattened spines at all... they're more like double-length toothpicks. Definitely not "papyracanth-y"
There is Tehprocactus aoracanthus with toothpick spines. I don't know if they get a variety name or not. Mine is var pediophilus which has particularly long flattened spines which look soft but are quite stiff, sharp at the end and serrated along the edges. Here is a closeup of a new pad with some older spines.
--ian
amanzed

Ahh, interesting T aoracanthus!

Post by amanzed »

Hi Ian! Thanks for that... that is some amazing spination. I figured there must be multiple types. I don't think my plant was labeled with a subspecies or var, alas. It seems T aoracanthus is calling me to further study.