Mammilaria and Opuntia

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
opiliones

Mammilaria and Opuntia

Post by opiliones »

Hi Folks,

It's been a long time since I've poked around this site. I thought I'd stick up a couple of unknowns for some opinions. The Mammillaria is 16" tall, and gets yellow fruit. The Opuntia has pads that are 6" long, and the fruits are the same lovely salmon color as the flowers. I can provide other pictures.

Thanks for the help!
iann

Post by iann »

Not a Mammillaria :) Ferocactus. F. wislizenii? Someone will know.
--ian
opiliones

Post by opiliones »

Ferocactus! Ah, yes, that makes more sense.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I was thinking Ferocactus herrerae? Someone else should know for sure. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Alber khan

Post by Alber khan »

i was thinking F.wislezenii,but the central spines are not that thick
When thousands of foes unite, for my ruins plot–
If only You remain by my side, I then fear not!
I live for a hoped union with thee, it is my desired prize–
Or all my moments are spent- in the fright of demise!
~Hafez (1325 – 1389): From Ghazal No. 287
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Where is the Opuntia from?? Are you saying the fruit are fleshy and a salmon color?? It looks a little like O. pottsii but is a bit large. More likely a hybrid.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
opiliones

Post by opiliones »

The Opuntia was growing in a neighbor's yard in Henderson, Nevada, so it originally must have come from a nursery. No one was living in the house at the time, and so I rescued a few pieces of the cactus.

Yep, the fruits are fleshy and salmon-colored; as shown in the photo. Tasty, too, though the edible part is very small. I just collected some fruits for the seeds today.
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

The fruit are not those of O. pottsii so that is out; probably an O.phaeacantha hybrid of some sort. It would help a lot to know the locality of origin.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
opiliones

Post by opiliones »

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing where the salmon cactus came from. I'm interested to try growing some seeds, and see what I get.
Melt In The Sun

Post by Melt In The Sun »

The Ferocactus is definitely wizlezenii. Is yours still blooming now, or is that photo a few weeks old? Ours all finished up in early October.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I really like that Opuntia. Such a lovely color! If you feel like sharing please let me know!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
opiliones

Post by opiliones »

Mr. F. wizlezenii finished flowering awhile ago, and now has lovely yellow fruits: Image
opiliones

Post by opiliones »

I'd love to share some of the Opuntia, but I checked with the Nevada Dept. of agriculture today, and if I want to send any cacti pieces through the mail, I have to have an agent come out and inspect my cacti for pests first, and presumably check to see that I don't have anything illegal. Then, I get a permit for a year. Seems like a hassle. :(

I didn't ask about sending seeds, though. I'll check on that...
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

opiliones wrote:I'd love to share some of the Opuntia, but I checked with the Nevada Dept. of agriculture today, and if I want to send any cacti pieces through the mail, I have to have an agent come out and inspect my cacti for pests first, and presumably check to see that I don't have anything illegal. Then, I get a permit for a year. Seems like a hassle. :(
That's correct. The USPS have special scanners that can detect whether or not there's a cactus inside a sealed box.

-R
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

opiliones wrote:I'd love to share some of the Opuntia, but I checked with the Nevada Dept. of agriculture today, and if I want to send any cacti pieces through the mail, I have to have an agent come out and inspect my cacti for pests first, and presumably check to see that I don't have anything illegal. Then, I get a permit for a year. Seems like a hassle. :(
Seriously??? You're joking Right? Ok...
lancer99 wrote: That's correct. The USPS have special scanners that can detect whether or not there's a cactus inside a sealed box.
LOL

:lol:
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage