Window Temps

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Prospector

Window Temps

Post by Prospector »

Something to think about for those keeping cactus in the window over winter.
Even with thermopanes/double glass, the window side of the cactus will be a different temp than the inside/room side.
Doesn't matter during the day, but at night in the colder areas it might.

Many people turn the heat down at night.

If you only have a single piece of glass in the window the temp between the two sides of the cactus will vary greatly.
None of these would matter in the warmer areas, but in the northern areas it could lead to scarring or if they are frost tender, lose of the cactus.

Frank
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Good tip Frank, and definately something to consider..
Bill in SC
clemons

Post by clemons »

on the other hand'' watch'' having cactus on the window sill during the day as it can be alot warmer ,,not a good thing if your trying to keep your cacti cool so as to promote dormancy. i keep a thermometer on the sill..
like the farmer said to the tater,,i,ll plant ya now and i,ll dig ya later..
iann

Post by iann »

I find it very difficult to get my window sills cool enough in winter! Even on the very coldest nights with curtains drawn, I've never seen it get below 45F, usually above 50F for a minimum. I'll have to get rid of the double-glazing ;)
--ian
clemons

Post by clemons »

Ian,we have double paned windows plus i leave the sreens in for even more shading,,if it still gets to warm on the sill i,ll try to add an extra screen ..maybe a shade cloth over the window would answer well also..
like the farmer said to the tater,,i,ll plant ya now and i,ll dig ya later..
iann

Post by iann »

You need metal frames and single glazing, that would keep those babies cool. My apartment in DC (free utilities so I didn't care that there was no insulation!) would form ice on the inside of the glass even when the room was heated to 72F :shock:
--ian
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

iann wrote:You need metal frames and single glazing, that would keep those babies cool. My apartment in DC (free utilities so I didn't care that there was no insulation!) would form ice on the inside of the glass even when the room was heated to 72F :shock:
Must have been an old house. I remember living in houses like that :lol: been a few years back though :wink:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it