mouse ears problem

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
kargov

mouse ears problem

Post by kargov »

Hello

I have a small cacti called "mouse ears" which has flat padded parts. I've had it since February and it has been growing fine. I had it ouside all summer on my porch and recently brought it inside for the winter. I water it about once every two weeks and it now sits on a windowsill on the west side of the house, just as it did during the summer except of course it gets less sunshine now as winter approaches.

It has developed a sort a whitish/tan area on the flesh of the bottom older sections of both plants. There are no white/tan spots on the newer growth up top. They are flat and not squishy or weblike. I can't scratch it off and they look very much like water stains on a ceiling.

My question is does anyone know what it is? Am I overwatering or is is suburned? And...will it go away? It's a beautiful plant and I hate to lose it.
Help! Thanks! :P
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

By chance can you post a picture of it. It would surely help with IDing the problem.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

I assume you are speaking of Opuntia microdaisys. I suspect that the marks you describe may be from overwatering indeed. Mine have done the same thing. They seem to like less water than other cactus. It won't hurt the plants, but it won't go away. A pic would be good for confirmation as Bill in KC suggests..
Bill in SC