stapelia gigantea not flowering

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Rob

stapelia gigantea not flowering

Post by Rob »

I've got a stapelia gigantea that's at least 3 years old (probably a bit more). I've been waiting for it to flower, but haven't gotten any buds thus far. It spends it's summers in full sun outside and winters inside near a bright window. I've been giving it diluted fertilizer maybe once a month this year (as with the rest of my succulents) and it's put on some good new growth, just no flowers.
Is there anything special I can do to encourage flowers or do they only flower when they reach a certain age or ?

Thanks,
Rob
murmanator

Post by murmanator »

Sounds like the culture is about right, Rob. Ive had one for several years and I do not get flowers every year despite giving the same care. So Im not sure what to tell you here. When mine does flower it comes in late September-October when the weather cools a bit (Im in Phoenix, so temps are relative). Is it possible you are changing the location from outdoors to indoors in this time period, and perhaps this is inturrupting the bud setting process? Just a guess there...
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hmmm...I suppose that could be it. I'm in Ontario, though, so am usually forced to bring it inside by early - mid October because of low temperatures...
Well, I've got another few weeks to go, so maybe something will still happen!

Rob
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

The Stapeliads are not always the easiest plants to flower, particularly in my neck of the woods (England). I have had them to the stage where they have nice fat buds that seem almost ready to open and if the weather conditions change, they will abort and drop off.

I have had Stapelias with many stems that have never flowered for me. I have had cuttings of 2 or three stems that flower very well.

I know this does not help you, but it is an indication of the problems that happen for little apparent reason.

John
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi,
my S.gigantea flowers in Aug/Sept, so she's a bit earlier. I would not expect the change from outdoors to indoors to disturb the budding.
But what about the fertiliser: it sounds to me as if you gave them fertilizer all year round. If so, I would stop it from ca. Oct - Feb. And what about that winter-window, is it a cool place? This would certainly help. (I keep mine during winter at the bedroom window, which will be open during the nights.)
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
murmanator

Post by murmanator »

My first flower popped this weekend and I have several more buds setting. Ive got flies everywhere now but its OK since I didnt have any flowers last year.

I remember reading recently that stems that have flowered should be removed for the following season. Not sure where I saw this or if its valid of what...
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Ruth-
Thanks for your response. No, I don't fertilize all year-round, just during the summer growing months. My winter window isn't that cool, unfortunately.

However, since my previous post, I got a bud on the stapelia. It took forever to open, but finally did today! (One of my most exciting succulent growing moments!)
Here it is:

Rob
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

What a flower! Wonderful! Grate you finally made it! :P
And your plant looks real nice and healthy. It had been out in the sun, hadn't it?

But: are you sure it is a S.gigantea...? It has these little leaflets at its stems, and the form & colours of the flower - I would expect it to be a S.gettleffii. If (!) you want to check this, maybe a look onto Martin Heigan's Stapeliad-site may help (http://anti-matter-3d.com/Stapeliads/).
At my place, a Gigantea-flower looked like this. She doesn't have these darker parts toward the tips & brims of the petals as yours. But the S.gettleffii has.
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I think you're right - it looks more like a s. gettleffi! I'll have to re-label it - now I know why the flower wasn't as big (or "gigantea") as I expected it to be!

Thanks,
Rob