colors dont show in pics

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
sticklypear

colors dont show in pics

Post by sticklypear »

My peanut cacti has some of the prettiest flowers in my garden. Red with a tinge of purple absolutly stunning. Problem is no matter where the light is with or without flash those colors just dont show in a pic. Just looks like red blooms. now I know theres nothing like seeing it in person but the colors are so deep I would have thought even a cheap camera would pic them up :(
iann

Re: colors dont show in pics

Post by iann »

Cheap cameras tend to over-expose and over-saturate reds. It is a common problem.
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yep, very difficult to get those reds.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Wallydraigle

Post by Wallydraigle »

Those weird fluorescent colors are just out of gamut for any imaging device. Plus, the effect is partly entoptic, because the colors are so vibrant that they oversaturate the cones in the eye and stuff.
amanzed

Post by amanzed »

Ooh, new word for me, entoptic. That's interesting, I was wondering about the same thing. My $100 point-and-shoot seems okay on scarlet and fire-engine red (anything from straight red to the orange side of red) but on magenta and purple it's truly terrible. And that's a problem for cacti since so many flowers are on the magenta side of red.
vlani

Post by vlani »

When shot in RAW and hand-processed, reds show OK. Not always, depends on light and things.. The key is to lower contrast when you post-process the image.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

The range you get with RAW formatted images is pretty amazing. Much better than jpg.