Rotting peyote seedling?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Gypscoprotheres

Rotting peyote seedling?

Post by Gypscoprotheres »

I'm having some problems with 2 of my L. williamsii seedlings. I think it's rot and I guess it was me that has caused it. I've given them too much water last week by testing a new water sprayer... Hmff.... Should I cut the rot out or just let the "drought" cure it?
This one is definitely too far and I've thrown it away...
This one is definitely too far and I've thrown it away...
Rot.jpg (78.66 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
This one, on the other hand, has just a little brown/white stripe on it, which you can't really see, but it is there and on the other one it started like this.
This one, on the other hand, has just a little brown/white stripe on it, which you can't really see, but it is there and on the other one it started like this.
Beetje.jpg (52.14 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
Alber khan

Re: Rotting peyote seedling?

Post by Alber khan »

How old are they?
When thousands of foes unite, for my ruins plot–
If only You remain by my side, I then fear not!
I live for a hoped union with thee, it is my desired prize–
Or all my moments are spent- in the fright of demise!
~Hafez (1325 – 1389): From Ghazal No. 287
Gypscoprotheres

I've sown them at April the 1st, 2011.
Gnostic

Post by Gnostic »

If you have stock material you could try to graft them. Just cut above the rot on the scion. Or you could give a dusting of sulfur powder or cinnamon and let them completely dry out. Just some ideas I would think about doing if I had your problem.
waiting for godot...
Alber khan

Post by Alber khan »

I also had one fat echinopsis seedling about the size of your peyote.This happened to it,there were two things that sprung to my mind after looking at the scar.
1)Something has taken a bite from it...
2)Maybe i overwatered it and it coudnot hold more water so it's stem burst.

Later i found out that i overwatered it.
When thousands of foes unite, for my ruins plot–
If only You remain by my side, I then fear not!
I live for a hoped union with thee, it is my desired prize–
Or all my moments are spent- in the fright of demise!
~Hafez (1325 – 1389): From Ghazal No. 287
Gypscoprotheres

Thanks for the advices.

I do have stock material (I think). I've tried to graft one of the two damaged plants, but something went wrong... The L. williamsii dried up in some kind of weird way that it wasn't connected with the other plant anymore. This was the first time that I've grafted something, so I've probably made some mistakes...

I'm using Trichocereus bridgesii of the same age.

I'm planning to dry the other plant a bit to see if it's getting worse. If so (and I'll check the plant every day), I'll take the risk with grafting again.

I'm a little bit annoyed with this rot... It's exactly on the prettiest and biggest of them all.
Gnostic

Post by Gnostic »

Did you align the vascular rings well and use something like electric tape to keep pressure on the scion? It also helps keeping new grafts in shade for the first couple of days. Mistakes are just new learning experiences :) I know I had a lot of mistakes when I first started grafting. But seeing all the grafting guides on this site helped me out immensely and now I have a few nice grafts in my collection.

It's never a good day loosing plants, but for me it helps me figure out what to do right the next time and help my cacti thrive better than before.
waiting for godot...
Gypscoprotheres

Thanks again for the advices! My L. williamsii seedling is doing al right again and it seems that the rotting has stopped. I took out just a tiny bit of soil that touched that brown part, to leave it more dry and I took care with watering. Now that same part is light brown/white, which means that it's healed. :)

The plant that I've used for grafting is already showing another head, so at least I didn't lose 2 plants.

Ow... And another silly thing. When I've tried to graft L. williamsii on T. bridgesii, one of the two rotten peyotes could survive. Well.. At least the lower part of the stem. The silly thing is that I've putted the top of T. bridgesii on what was left of the L. williamsii and... Silly enough... This is seems to do well.... Hmfff.. I'll see what'll happen. :)