usa side reflectors

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
parodias

usa side reflectors

Post by parodias »

Call off the search I'm still around No time to post Its been what? 3 weeks? Sorry I don't have pictures of all 3 weeks I sold a lot of it last weekend at the flea And some of it is alread
Doug speak at the Living Light House in Santa Monica. I got to ask him you (see Nos. 707?25) to reduce Grab pulldown bar using overhand grip, arms
seriously affecting the natural functioning of the body. A correct mode of living and a balanced ORDER KEVIN'S NEWEST BOOK ON CD That man descended from our noble race
Girl if you stuff online is amazing . I can only imagine what it is going tobe like in person . good luck and have fun . I have been asked to teach in England when I get there and I have NO idea wh
Last edited by parodias on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.
Kristina

Post by Kristina »

I am not the best person to answer your question but I am seriously interested in these (split rocks) as we call them.

I d know if you do water them make it sparse amunt of water. I have watered my last group only twice this year once in AUG and a sprinkle in Sept. So far so good!

Hope that helps I will be asking some Lithops questions soon.

Sincerely,
Kristina
iann

Post by iann »

No need for water. Probably no need for water until spring. Certainly no need for water until they've had a few weeks to sort their roots out. They all look normal for this time of year.

You don't know how they've been treated before you got them, very often their timetable is a bit off. They might not put out new leaves on schedule in spring, or they might go mad and try to flower now. You just have to play it by ear and they'll settle down next year under better conditions.

If you don't have names, here's what I think they are:
L. hookeri.
L. lesliei. Var venteri?
L. bromfieldii.
L. schwantesii. Or L. dinteri?
Not sure what they are. L. ruschiorum? L.vallis-mariae? Or a pale form of a more common species?
--ian
parodias

Post by parodias »

Thnx for the info guys ! (m/f :) )

Considereing the knowledge and care of the person who sold them to me (we exchanged some emails to get the basics to me) I think they were kept right "on schedule" but of course I have no clue what this repotting stress and new conditions will do to their periodicity so I'll sit and watch tightly .. I guess I was spoiled by the person who sold them to me :D
Gosh I got 30 plants in 9 species which makes me an average of 22 eurocts per plant (abot 28-29 $cents) :lol:

The labels going with the plants tell the following
(some Cole numbers as weel)
L aucampie Kusuman (to me a very attractive plant!)
L turbiniformis brunea violacea
L julii littlewoodii
L leslei C385
L pseudotruncatella archerae C104
L marginata
L bromfieldii insularis C042
L schwantesii C080
L salicola C321

what do you think ? a bargain ? :)
hob

Post by hob »

iann wrote:
If you don't have names, here's what I think they are:
L. hookeri.
L. lesliei. Var venteri?
L. bromfieldii.
L. schwantesii. Or L. dinteri?
Not sure what they are. L. ruschiorum? L.vallis-mariae? Or a pale form of a more common species?
parodias wrote:The labels going with the plants tell the following
(some Cole numbers as weel)
L aucampie Kusuman (to me a very attractive plant!)
L turbiniformis brunea violacea
L julii littlewoodii
L leslei C385
L pseudotruncatella archerae C104
L marginata
L bromfieldii insularis C042
L schwantesii C080
L salicola C321
ian =D> .........they all look the same to me :oops:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
iann

Post by iann »

Every Lithops is a bargain! Except the ones sold on eBay ;) These look old enough to start flowering next year, maybe the year after. Having multiple plants of the same variety is nice since Lithops are almost never self-fertile. But watch out for cross pollination as it is possible to get hybrids between many of the species, or to get infertile seed.

It all goes to show that even the most conscientious grower can make a typo. C385 is not L. lesliei but L. gracilidelineata. Perhaps C358?

"Kusuman" should be "Kuruman". It has not been raised to variety status but is applied to a number of similar patterned forms from near the town of Kuruman. There are a number of such names used for Lithops that are neither varieties nor cultivars.

L. turbiniformis is now L. hookeri. "brunea violacea" is now L. hookeri var. subfenestrata, although it usually refers to a particular form with strong colouring such as C019. The correct spelling is "brunneoviolacea" all one word.

L. marginata is now L. hookeri var. marginata.

L. bromfieldii insularis is L. bromfieldii var. insularis.

Littlewoodii is another form that has not become a variety. C218 is the type collection, probably all plants with this name in cultivation derive from Cole's original collection. Out of the names you list, I'm guessing this is the very pale one in your photo? Although it normally has at least some dark markings.
--ian
parodias

Post by parodias »

Thanks very much for the additional info .. I'll take good note & save that for further reference !

And you are right, that last photo is that "littlewoodii" plant. It is almost white with a slightly dome shaped form .. the "gap" is rather pronounced.
The pictures I took may not show the full color as I took them in my cellar under the artificial lights and although I take some care in setting a custom white balance for the camera .. well it is not sunlight is it ? :)
iann

Post by iann »

well it is not sunlight is it ?
Certainly not! Most of the time we hardly notice but certain colours simply don't show under fluorescent lights. And Lithops have such subtle shades, often in several translucent layers, very hard to capture in a photograph, but very beautiful in real life :)
--ian