New cactus

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mike

New cactus

Post by Mike »

Can someone help with the first one. It is a bluish green color, and has some interesting contours. It looks a little like the Echinocactus Grusonii below it, but appears different. Also, you can see lateral healed cut on the Echinocactus on the ribs on the right side. Do you know what caused that.
Thanks, Mike
Mike
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Mike, what do you think? Does this look like a match or what?

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... laucescens
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I'm guessing that the splits on the second one are the result of too much water. I've had some globose cacti split right down the middle half way through. (If you look straight down from the top it looks like Pac-Man.) This happened after So. Cal. got a record amount of rainfall and my cacti where soaking in water. My Myrtillocactus on the other hand is badly scared up and down where the cells all burst from too much water. I'll have to post some pictures of these for you; extreme examples of what probably happened to your plant.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike,

I agree with daiv, the first plant is almost certainly a Ferocactus, and he has probably got the species correct as well. He is pretty clued up on the genus.

Regarding the scar tissue too much water is a possibility. As I have said before many of the globular cacti will continue to take up water while it is there (in habitat they don't know when the next drink is coming), to such an extent that they will take up so much that the body splits. Parodia magnifica is renowned for doing this. That is why it is essential that cacti are never left in saucers of water or other containers with water in the bottom.

But there are other possibilities, one of which is spine damage, not from the spines of the plant that is marked but spines from another plant that have either brushed or knocked against it, if the plants are kept closely together.

Also damage from insects and bugs, but in this plant that does not look to be the cause.

Both plants look very healthy and as the Echinocactus is quite a fast grower the slight damage should quickly grow out.

John
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks guys. It certainly looks like the ferocactus pic that Daiv provided. Mike