Bloom on Plants

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
templegatejohn

Bloom on Plants

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all,

Thought I would put this plant up to show one of the few advantages of my having to keep plants under glass, while you lucky guys and gals can keep them outside, some of you all the year round.

Stenocereus pruinosus

I have been able to keep the bloom on this plant as there is no water applied directly to the plant. I also need to remember when I'm spraying the others. The same bloom remains on Myrtillocactus geometrizans and Acanthocalycium glaucum.

The greener lined area is where the plant has restarted into growth, after its rest period.

Many of the succulents: Pachyphytums, Graptopetalum and Echeverias also have a nice bloom on their leaves, but it can soon be washed off, or even a stray finger (particularly young grandchildren in my experience) will do the same. Unfortunately it will never appear again once it has been removed.

Daiv has one in his garden that looks pretty good, but the sun always shines on Daiv.

All the best,
John
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Nice looking John, excellent looking but I appear to be missing something.

Wheres the bloom :-s

Bill
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Bill,

With your sense of humour being on a par with mine, I think you are pulling my . . .

But here goes. The 'bloom' in this instance is the waxy coating on the plant, much like you would get on a grape. Not 'bloom' as in flower.

Cheers,
John
ondy

Post by ondy »

Really? I wasn't aware of that term. Thanks for the info.

Andy
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Must be an island thing. :lol: I haven't heard that before either.

I should send you the updated version of mine. It has more than doubled in size, but has also developed some brown spots. I'm not sure from what. I suspect pesticide.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Hi Bill,

With your sense of humour being on a par with mine, I think you are pulling my . . .
Actually I thought you might of posted the wrong photo.
Yup, you stumped with that one #-o :lol:

Bill