My Succulents

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Samee

My Succulents

Post by Samee »

Hey guys, new to the forum. Ive been trying to find a nice, active succulent forum because I want to gain some knowledge on what Im growing. Im new to plants in general. I have been growing aquatic plants for a few years, so I know alot about them. But besides that, not much. My parents do keep the usual house plants, but Ive never had interest until now.

Ive had Hens and Chicks for a few months now, they seem to be drying up. I mist them every few days now and water them 2 to 3 times a week. They are in my room under T8 6400k light. I will be moving them out early Summer. Im located in Toronto, Canada. I also have plants in Detroit at my bros place :)

Ive just received 30 succulents I bought from ebay and wanted some suggestions. Ill be placing them, like my chicks, in succulent mix and watering them twice a week during summer. Temps will hit 40c in my balcony.

The ebay description was bad, I tried my best to make it clean, heres the list:

green snowman is senecio articulatus or candle plant,
the purple one next to it is either Fred Ives or Pearl Von Nuremburg.

Others are Darley Sunshine
Jet Beads
Crassula Calico Kitten
Donkey's Tail
String of Pearls
Pork and Beans
String of Buttons
Baby Necklace
Hobbit
Gollum
Compact Jade
Sedum Praeltum 'Cristata"
2 variegated Elephant Bush
String of Bannanas
Red flower Zygocactus

Euphorbia tirucalli, Pencil Cactus, Stick on Fire
Aeonium arboreum 'Atropurpureum' (Purple Aeonium)
Aeonium percarneum cv. 'Kiwi' (Kiwi Aeonium, tricolor)
Senecio mandraliscae, (Blue Chalk Sticks)
crassula tetragona (mini pine tree)
Faucaria tigrina, (Tiger’s jaw)
Graptoveria 'Titubans'
Graptoveria gilva
Sedum rubrotinctum (Jelly Bean, Pork and Beans)
Kalanchoe 'Houghtonii'
Echeveria 'Haageana'

My Bonsai
Another tropical plant I have

Heres a more recent pic

Heres how my chicks are looking like
Attachments
My new succulents
My new succulents
20130413_112513 (Large).jpg (62.32 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
majcka

Re: My Succulents

Post by majcka »

Many of your succulents (Hens and Chicks) are Sempervivum and Jovibarba and that are NOT exactly houseplants. They usually don't do well in the appartement. I had some of my labeled ones in the GH this winter because I was afraid I will loose their labels during winter winds. Guess what. They do significantly poorer than ones I left outside. I have some in pots and some in ground. I didn't lost one of them. I cannot claim this for ones in the GH. In the GH there will be some loses. ](*,)
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

iann

Post by iann »

Yeah, Sempervivums hate it indoors. Get them some cool nights and ventilation during the day, they'll love it. Maybe bring them in when it is 40C outside :lol:

I don't think that's Faucaria tigrina. Sellers just stick that name on because it sounds the best but I rarely see the real deal. Stick it in some gritty soil and leave it outside for the summer, so long as it is above freezing.

I don't know much about any of the others.
--ian
Samee

Post by Samee »

Thanks for the response!

If its not Faucaria, what is it? I really like those aloe type plants with teeth.

Yes I cant wait for warmer weather, winters really being stubborn. We got snow a few days ago!!!!!!! Also, during spring and fall, the stupid squirrel is a big problem. We live on the 9th floor in an apartment building, but those things climb the whole building and go through each balcony. During spring and summer when we have our plants outside, they dig and uproot some of our plants in search and to store food. So Im worried they might dig it up. Thats why I will put them outside early summer, when their activity reduces (they still roam the balcony, but less often).
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Samee wrote:If its not Faucaria, what is it? I really like those aloe type plants with teeth.
It is a Faucaria, Ian is just saying it may not be Faucaria tigrina. There are several species in the genus, but as he said F. tigrina (and even F. felina) have the catchiest names so sellers will just call it that for marketing purposes.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Samee

Post by Samee »

Saxicola wrote:
Samee wrote:If its not Faucaria, what is it? I really like those aloe type plants with teeth.
It is a Faucaria, Ian is just saying it may not be Faucaria tigrina. There are several species in the genus, but as he said F. tigrina (and even F. felina) have the catchiest names so sellers will just call it that for marketing purposes.

Oh I see.

2 more pics taken from cell.
Attachments
20130414_170619 (Large).jpg
20130414_170619 (Large).jpg (85.47 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
20130414_170629 (Large).jpg
20130414_170629 (Large).jpg (80.98 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
Samee

Post by Samee »

Hey guys, update, I will post new pics this weekend. I just wanted to know if its safe enough to put these guys outside. My overnight temps are reaching 10c and high is btw 14 to 19c. I think its still too chilly? Im going to throw my semps outside, I know they can survive up to -40c. I just didnt want to give them a shock by moving from 24c (in my room for 3 months) to cold weather.
Samee

Post by Samee »

So I still need to buy a container. emps outside range from 25c to overnight 10c, so Im not sure if I want to keep them outside (my succulents, aloe). Some of my semps have been moved outside.

One of my succulent flowered. :)

rodderick

Post by rodderick »

You have some nice succulents. In my experience my succulents do best in full sun outside and regular watering/rainfall (every 2-3 days). But I live in a country where the outside temp reaches 36c and the winters are mild (min 10c). Still I think yours will do much better outside. If kept inside a lot of succulents get white fluffy bugs.
Samee

Post by Samee »

rodderick wrote:You have some nice succulents. In my experience my succulents do best in full sun outside and regular watering/rainfall (every 2-3 days). But I live in a country where the outside temp reaches 36c and the winters are mild (min 10c). Still I think yours will do much better outside. If kept inside a lot of succulents get white fluffy bugs.

Thanks, semps are permanently outside now.

Ok big blog post. I just finished a huge post over at my aquarium journal thread, please check it out and comment, link in my sig.

So when I was in US, I bought Lava rock and pea gravel. Big bags. I also bought a bag of cacti and suc soil. Since all succulent soil on the market suck, it was up to me to make a good mix. Ive used the cacti and succulent soil before and it becomes a piece of foam thats rock hard. Its terrible. I know because I transferred my plants here and there today.

Ok so the lava rock was too big. I wanted to make it the size of pea gravel but it was just too much work. The reason you need all material of the same size is because water tends to make a layer over the odd sized stuff. So water would drain around the gravel but pond up over the big lava rock. Atleast thats what I think I read elsewhere. So I spent about 2 hours or so hammering lava rock. Made a mess of the balcony. I coundnt hammer hard enough or else my neighbours would knock at my door.

The plastic container is huge but even then I couldnt condense my other hens and chicks. I wanted to reduce the pot/container use but couldnt. I also made the same soil mix for my Sago Palm. I love that plant. Bought it for $1.50 because it was "damaged". The leaves are yellow as you can see. Im assuming it was over watered. Dont worry baby you're in the right hands now :)

So it begins

The mess

Final

I couldnt set the top layer becuase there are too man small succulents everywhere. So setting it would be hard. Not to mention I ran out of the soil bag. So maybe next week I might get more and top it up. I still have to move around a few soil pots.