Got a Hold of some Decomposed Granite

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Tlaloc

Got a Hold of some Decomposed Granite

Post by Tlaloc »

I tried to sift though the post involving decomposed granite and it proved simply too much to go tough so i was wondering: can decomposed granite be used as a general component to cactus soil to make it drain better? could i use it a general ingredient when trying to make soil leaner and/or better draining? and for that matter could i do the same with crushed lava rock pea gravel or expanded clay? these where the only things i could find for these purposes at the local garden stores.
Joel143

Re: Got a Hold of some Decomposed Granite

Post by Joel143 »

Yes you can use decomposed granite. I wouldn't use pea gravel because of its smooth surface. I wish I could find DG small enough to use in my amended soil for my cacti. Right now I use oil absorbent.
iann

Post by iann »

Lava rock can be good because it is extremely rough, but it depends if you can get it in a suitable grade. I like the expanded clays, they hold the right amount of both water and air. Can you not find pumice where you are?
--ian
Tlaloc

Post by Tlaloc »

i can't seem too,and the lava rock comes in big 2 or 3 inch chuncks, but i'm not above putting it in a sac and smashing it with a hammer till i get little rocks. thanks guys, and does smooth=bad with soil ingredients?
iann

Post by iann »

Smooth rocks hold relatively little water but almost no air. Makes for a very heavy mix that promotes rot if you aren't very careful. Porous, or failing that rough, rocks hold air and make for a much more forgiving soil. I have also noticed that using something like pea gravel as a top dressing, it seems to wick water up when the soil is damp. Sharper grits don't do it.
--ian
Tlaloc

Post by Tlaloc »

kay, noted, smooth stones=bad. oh by the way,split rock- grittier or little more soil than lithops?
iann

Post by iann »

Tlaloc wrote:kay, noted, smooth stones=bad. oh by the way,split rock- grittier or little more soil than lithops?
About the same soil, but not really the same treatment otherwise.
--ian
Tlaloc

Post by Tlaloc »

okay then. i got another split rock and triple checked it to make sure it's rot free. it jsut has a third pair of leaves, but their pretty much shrivled off already and the rest of the plant seems fine.