fuzzy buds

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
oldcat61

fuzzy buds

Post by oldcat61 »

I know I should be able to key this down by myself but the fuzzy buds with the long spines has me confused. Also taking forever to open. I can think of a whole lot of things it isn't! Ignore the water, just over spray from the epis. Thanks, Sue
Attachments
1-Unknown 5.jpg
1-Unknown 5.jpg (61.39 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
iann

Re: fuzzy buds

Post by iann »

Parodia submammulosa.
--ian
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Thank you - I wasn't scrolling down far enough to see all the subspecies. The big spines just didn't seem right for parodia - all the others I have are short. All this lumping together doesn't work for me - the shapes & the flowers are so different. How that spikey guy is related to Notocactus haselbergii just escapes me. Like apples & oranges.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agree on the ID - gave one just like that to my sister-in-law, lots of big yellow flowers. What size is that pot - just a little guy, right?
Spence :mrgreen:
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Not really little - that's a 6" pot. Nasty spines. Sue
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Longer spines than mine, then.
Spence :mrgreen:
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

That was what was throwing me - long, stiff spines like a fero, height/width ratio & shape different than my other parodia/notos. As long as it's happy I guess I shouldn't care what its proper name is. Maybe I'll just label him Spike. Thanks for your help. Sue
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Probably the long spined form known as Notocactus turecekianus, usually sunk into synonymy under Notocactus submammulosus which in turn is often sunk into synonymy under Notocacctus (Parodia) mammulosus.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/NOTOCA ... kianus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically the only real difference is length of spines, going from the shortest mammulosus through submammulosus to the longest turecekianus, and you can throw names like pampeanus in here as well.
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Thank you Dave - that looks more like mine. I'm not scrolling thru the varieties far enough - I get distracted when what I have looks nothing like the species. I'll make him a proper tag now , but still going to be addressed as "Spike". Sue
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

An update for Dave. Now that Spike has bloomed, he's a perfect fit for your ID. Not that I could ever pronounce turecekianus! Sue
Attachments
1-P turce bloom.jpg
1-P turce bloom.jpg (284.81 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Tur ece kianus.. I dunno that's a hard one lol
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I presume it is named after a man called Turecek (probably E. European) so the "cek" ending would be pronounced as "check". If so it would be as this audio link if you click on it + ianus on the end. Click on the little arrows to start:-

http://www.pronouncehow.com/english/tur ... nunciation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;