Long-suffering trailing/climbing noid

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
greenknight

Long-suffering trailing/climbing noid

Post by greenknight »

Another of my mixed seedlings. This one wants to crawl all over everything, which doesn't work too well with my system of moving them outside for the summer and indoors for the winter. Had hard life; part of it got broken off, been attacked by slugs, got way too root bound...I repotted it, and it's growing like a weed again.

First picture is the whole plant, which is in a 4-inch pot. Got it supported with twigs since I don't have room for it to sprawl, and it seems quite happy to climb (though it's never produced air roots). Second is a couple of closeups I cut and pasted together with The GIMP.

My best guess was some sort of Harrisia, but I don't know...what's your opinion?
Attachments
Pic-20130618-002.jpg
Pic-20130618-002.jpg (292.94 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
clmbrclose.png
clmbrclose.png (485.66 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
Spence :mrgreen:
Tony

Re: Long-suffering trailing/climbing noid

Post by Tony »

Part of it looks like it might be echinocereus cinerascens?
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Tony wrote:Part of it looks like it might be echinocereus cinerascens?
I see the resemblance, but I doubt it; it was a long trailing thing before it got broken off. I should mention that this had 4 ribs at first, now has 5 - if that's any help.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

Echinocereus blanckii? Only I think it's called something else now.
vlani

Post by vlani »

E. pentalophus probably. Give it large shallow pot, enjoy blooms in couple years
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

May be Echinocereus pentalophus or procumbens, I can't remember which at the moment. One is just a thinner version of the other. If so it should have some of the largest Echinocereus flowers.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/ECHINO ... lophus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/71013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

E. pentalophus looks like it, all right. Be great in a hanging basket if I had some place to hang it where it would get enough light. Oh well, be nice sitting on the ground, too. Big planter bowl, I guess...the way this thing grows, it's definitely going to soon outgrow the little wagon my dwarf cacti are in.

This is great, something that will bloom at a manageable size and be really colorful. Much better than what I thought it was. I had no idea any echinocerii were that floppy, wasn't even looking there.

Thanks to everybody that responded.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

looks like E. pentlophus. I have some segments that lose their spines for some reason, so it has the sorta abused look going for it and also the stems are almost always purple.. right now the new growth is green but give it a few months and it will be all purple again!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yeah, the spines do come off very easily. Bronzes in bright sun - if yours is still growing well when it's completely purple, I guess that's not a problem. I found different opinions about whether they should have shade or full sun, appears they're very tolerant plants. i don't mind the distressed look. :)
Peterthecactusguy

hahaha i jokingly call mine my ugliest cactus because it's never happy. Too cold, too little light, too hot, too much light.. hahaha it can't make up it's mind. I have in partial morning sun, I have a feeling if it was in full AZ sun it would not be alive. BTW it flowers every year so it's happy enough :) And I also noticed this year it's exploding in growth, there are many more new stem segments that are green. The older segments of course are purple haha
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Just meant that I won't worry about a little bronzing, not planning to test how much sun it can stand. It seems happy with conditions where it is.

The sun is just as intense at this latitude - for a few weeks, right around the summer solstice. You're at higher elevation, though; I'm barely above sea level. The elevation does make a difference...plus the fact that it's raining here now... :(
Peterthecactusguy

the sun at sea level is often less intense then at elevation, however my low latitude means the sun is strong from around March until around September.
(usually, and it is very sunny here in AZ)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, your plants are used to bright sun. Here, the plants get used to low light levels over the long rainy season, so they're very vulnerable to sunburn when we get clear early-summer weather. Not only is the sun very nearly as intense as in Arizona this time of year, but the days are really long. This is when you need to be most careful - yesterday it was raining and gloomy, but today was bright and sunny, would have been a perfect day to sunburn a cactus.
Peterthecactusguy

also another factor of late that really isn't a huge deal but has me wondering, the Supermoon, is full tonite and it's kinda bright outside lol
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Lol - We were saved from the danger of moonburn - it clouded up and rained again. We never saw the moon.

They're predicting 90 for next week - plants and people we both be getting sunburned.