Help IDing my Cacti please?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
bambi135

Help IDing my Cacti please?

Post by bambi135 »

Hello, could anyone help me with these please?
Attachments
Pink one is obviously sprayed, leaves are plain green underneath...
Pink one is obviously sprayed, leaves are plain green underneath...
36577_10200343854623639_523818709_n.jpg (36.43 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
CactusBoss

Re: Help IDing my Cacti please?

Post by CactusBoss »

The one to the right is Isolatocereus dumortieri with fake flowers.
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
bambi135

Post by bambi135 »

Thankyou!! I know they're fake, but it's for a friend who's going to University, so I thought it would be nice to have bright flowers, make her room nice and cheery. :) x
iann

Post by iann »

I was going to say the Echeveria has probably been spray-painted, but looks like you spotted that too :)
--ian
bambi135

Post by bambi135 »

Yeah, I didn't really feel like they should have been sprayed when I first saw them, but pink's my favorite color, and i had to have it. Fell in love... :P x
majcka

Post by majcka »

bambi135 wrote:Yeah, I didn't really feel like they should have been sprayed when I first saw them, but pink's my favorite color, and i had to have it. Fell in love... :P x
In that case you will have to spray it again. It will overgrow it. :)
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

majcka wrote:
bambi135 wrote:Yeah, I didn't really feel like they should have been sprayed when I first saw them, but pink's my favorite color, and i had to have it. Fell in love... :P x

Ha ha ha

legend

:P

I'm not realy happy with the abuse with cacti and succulents. Especialy when they have fake flowers attached. Some glue them on , but in the past I have known fake flowers to not only be glued on but they are on a pin too , and they drive it into the top of the plant. " Truly Horrendus " .

The plant at the back is obviously a grafted Gymnocalycium that lacks the green stuff , hence why it's on the graft to keep it alive.

I was'nt keen on these even in the past. But over time I have warmed to them , as they are not all illuminous arty now , some are like this one and mainly green with subtle hints of colour. I have one meself that I bought recently , it's a yellow colour with a red blush. Aparently it's called Banana Split

^~^ ?
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bambi135

Post by bambi135 »

majcka wrote:
Majcka -No, I knew when I bought it that the paint would eventually come off, but thats okay. I'm sure I'll like the plant when it's green too :D x

Eutow - Are the Gymnocalycium nicknamed 'Moon Cactus'? x
Eutow_Intermedium

=^~^= Err ?

I've been growing Gymnocalycium for years ( Naked Calyx )

Cant say I have never heard them called Moon cactus.

But dont listen to me luv , call it what you want lol.

Gymnocalycium are a very good beginers cactus , but they dont neccess necess ness " Oh forget it " cant spell it. They ai'nt keen on strong sunlight , they get burned in some cases.
bambi135

Post by bambi135 »

I think it's just the coloured section.I got it from here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnocalycium_mihanovichii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought it was easier than remembering the scientific name... :)

Haha, I get confused spelling that too... Think it might be 'neccessary'? x
Eutow_Intermedium

Yes yes !

solidly remember the name ? Thats why I did'nt give a definate name. Maybe Damsii Rotundulum or Tucavocense ?

* scratches cranium *

I think believe it or not the japanese created the earlierst illuminous gymno. Think it was called Hibotan.

Regds to Loch neccessary. I think that sounds right.

Also I have seen chlorophyll free Charmaecerus before , just to let you know. Not sure how they flower , as I have never had one meself

:P
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

The Gymno. is Gymnocalycium mihanovichii 'hibotan' and they are sometimes called Moon cactus. :) There's a huuuuuuge array of colours and forms of this cultivar and some have begun to appear which have some Chlorophyll (green stuff :wink: ) and thus can be grown on their own roots if you really wanted. They grow faster as a graft, though.

Due to the lack of Chlorophyll, you can't really keep them in a sunny position. Too much sun and they turn white and then completely liquify. :? A sunny windowsill might just be too much for them. A little experimentation might be needed. :P The yellow Chamaecereus things take even less light than Gymno. 'hibotan', since they're more or less borderline albinos.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
bambi135

Post by bambi135 »

CactusFanDan wrote:The Gymno. is Gymnocalycium mihanovichii 'hibotan' and they are sometimes called Moon cactus. :) There's a huuuuuuge array of colours and forms of this cultivar and some have begun to appear which have some Chlorophyll (green stuff :wink: ) and thus can be grown on their own roots if you really wanted. They grow faster as a graft, though.

Due to the lack of Chlorophyll, you can't really keep them in a sunny position. Too much sun and they turn white and then completely liquify. :? A sunny windowsill might just be too much for them. A little experimentation might be needed. :P The yellow Chamaecereus things take even less light than Gymno. 'hibotan', since they're more or less borderline albinos.
Thankyou for the info! Mine is in my windowsill right now, for lack of places to put it where it will still get enough light. But will keep a very careful watch for any colour change and move it straight away :) Thanks x
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I don't think the ones with no green at all ever bloom - at least, no one seems to have posted any photos of it. The partially green ones can bloom, apparently, there are some pictures here: http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/GYMNOC ... ibotan.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the normal G. mihanovichii myself, very interesting cactus. I used to have one, bloomed readily. Greenish-yellow flowers, very weird.
Spence :mrgreen:
bambi135

Post by bambi135 »

Question: The Echeveria has a leaf(?) under on the small bottom layer that has half shrivelled up. Do I cut this off or not? I'm confused whether I should or not, I don't want to make the plant any worse, or kill it...