Cactophiles make good friends.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DaveW

Cactophiles make good friends.

Post by DaveW »

I have made some good friends in this hobby over the years. I am just back from the Cactus Explorers Weekend in Leicester, UK. My friends Roger Ferryman and Brendan Burke said they had a few spare plants for me grown from their own habitat collected seed. This is what they unloaded from the trunk of their car for me most are in pairs, but some singles:-
plants.jpg
plants.jpg (99.29 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
Eriosyce, Copiapoa's, Denmoza etc etc. How much do I owe you? Nothing!

I am sure I have not done that much for them. Also there was a propagation of Sulcorebutia aenacea from a plant sent directly to Roger from Cardenas, the discoverer, many years ago.

I did also buy a few plants on sale there too besides the freebies, but they are not in the picture.
paulzie32

Re: Cactophiles make good friends.

Post by paulzie32 »

I definitely agree 100%! I've gone to see a few people that grow cactus and they always try to give me plants. Thankfully, I have limited space and have had to turn down plants. Another was at a C&S sale/show and wanted to give me some of the plants he was trying to sell. But I insisted on paying for them.
But I've done the same at times. When I do a trade with people, I've often sent many more than they were expecting. I like being generous with the plants and seeds I have success with!
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

'tis true - cactophiles are among some of the most generous of any folk I've ever known.

Nice haul, Dave!
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

It is nice to have friends who share their proceeds of cultivation from exotic sources. Since I live a dual country existnce I don't raise much from seed, but I freely exchange pups, offsets and pads all over the US. I know I will be thinning out my Opuntias and Agaves in another week when back in Florida. It is as much fun to give as recieve. Enjoy your new pets.
Sulcofan

Post by Sulcofan »

Fantastic Dave! As you say, there are some really kind folk around, happy to pass on plants at the drop of a hat. The Sulcorebutia sounds extremely interesting - any chance of a photo?
Tony

Post by Tony »

Much of my collection is proof of this! :D
Nice "spares"! 8)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

That's what friends are for, I believe 8).. Dave
Hendry
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

Minime8484 wrote:'tis true - cactophiles are among some of the most generous of any folk I've ever known.

Nice haul, Dave!
This applies to gardeners/collectors of all kinds of plants not just cacti.
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I suppose that's true as well

my collection is also the living proof of the generosity of others, I reckon 20-25% of the plants I have were given to me
actually also quite a lot from people from this forum!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
majcka

Post by majcka »

Hmmm! I thought you said your GH is loaded. :-k

Nice bunch I'd say anyways. =D>
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

That's a nice lot of plants! I can see some really nice Eriosyces in there too. =D> Cactophiles are truely some of the best people.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog