Huntington Plant Sale - April 25-27, 2014

Post links, info, news, etc. regarding local and national cactus clubs and societies
Minime8484

Huntington Plant Sale - April 25-27, 2014

Post by Minime8484 »

Anyone going?
Wish I could go!
Saxicola

Re: Huntington Plant Sale - April 25-27, 2014

Post by Saxicola »

I won't go anymore after last year's nonsense. Everyone should be aware that they changed the sale so that ONLY members of the Huntington can shop on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning. Non-members are allowed to pick through the dregs from 1-4:30 on Sunday. I find that the C&S selection is just as good during the CSSA sale in July and even better at the January event.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Tony

Post by Tony »

Saxicola wrote:I won't go anymore after last year's nonsense. Everyone should be aware that they changed the sale so that ONLY members of the Huntington can shop on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning. Non-members are allowed to pick through the dregs from 1-4:30 on Sunday. I find that the C&S selection is just as good during the CSSA sale in July and even better at the January event.

"hear, hear!" :wink:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Yeah - I had heard about that new policy. It was bad enough a couple years ago when I made the trip out there that non-members were only allowed on Sunday, but now additionally being restricted to only Sunday after 1pm is absurd.

May have to make it out to LA for one of the other events then!
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

If you can make it out in mid-January I'd recommend it. Actually, I'd need to check and see if it is only open to local C&S society members (or if you can belong to any society anywhere). Basically you get a free day at the Huntington, the succulent house is open (that is VERY hit or miss otherwise, even during the hours it is supposed to be open), and they do sales actually in the growing area and production greenhouse so you have a better selection than just whatever they bring out to the sales table. The name escapes me at the moment, but if you are interested check back in early January and next years date will probably be set and info available.

Otherwise the CSSA sale is still better than the spring sale assuming what you want are primarily cacti and succulents. You get pretty much the same selection from Huntington as the spring sale, but you have 20 or so other sellers also selling their plants.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Saxicola wrote:If you can make it out in mid-January I'd recommend it. Actually, I'd need to check and see if it is only open to local C&S society members (or if you can belong to any society anywhere). Basically you get a free day at the Huntington, the succulent house is open (that is VERY hit or miss otherwise, even during the hours it is supposed to be open), and they do sales actually in the growing area and production greenhouse so you have a better selection than just whatever they bring out to the sales table. The name escapes me at the moment, but if you are interested check back in early January and next years date will probably be set and info available.

Otherwise the CSSA sale is still better than the spring sale assuming what you want are primarily cacti and succulents. You get pretty much the same selection from Huntington as the spring sale, but you have 20 or so other sellers also selling their plants.
Good to know! I made it to the CSSA sale last summer, and it was pretty good. The January event sounds ideal though...too bad I didn't know about it as I was in the LA area in mid-January this past January for a few days of vacation!

What is the name of the January event? Should be doable for me next year!
Tony

Post by Tony »

I believe Kyle is referring to the annual desert forum which is free day to members of clubs as long as the club is affiliated with the CSSA.

You have to register before you enter and you will have to wear your clubs badge to get in.

I go every year and always manage to leave with something I don't already have.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Ah! I did a search with that info, Tony, and it looks like it's also been called "CSSA Day at the Huntington"! It was held Jan 18th this year (when I was already in LA!! Grrr!).

I'll definitely plan on it next year! Sounds like a blast!
Thanks all for the great info!
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Yes, that's it. I guess I forgot it was called the "Desert Forum" because there was no forum! I knew John Trager would be there but he just hung out and chatted with people. I was expecting he'd give a talk or lead a tour. Even so it was fantastic.