2 names needed please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Micaela

2 names needed please

Post by Micaela »

Thank you in advance :wink:

Canon 708.jpg
Canon 708.jpg (230.53 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 707.jpg
Canon 707.jpg (243.99 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 709.jpg
Canon 709.jpg (193.08 KiB) Viewed 1759 times

Canon 704.jpg
Canon 704.jpg (168.3 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 703.jpg
Canon 703.jpg (199.86 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
is this a bud or an offset?
is this a bud or an offset?
Canon 714.jpg (228.38 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Canon 706.jpg
Canon 706.jpg (187.11 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
-Micci
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
teo

Re: 2 names needed please

Post by teo »

Echinocactus grusonii
Gymnocalycium monvillei
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

First of all thank you Teo.
Secondly, I start by saying I'm not an expert, I'm only a cactus fan, but if #2 is a G. monvillei, I need to rename the one below then, that has been also identified as G. monvillei.
They differ in spines (number and arrangement): the one below has 8 spines + 1 central, the one above has 11 spines (0 central). Both the plants have the same size.
So who is who?
Canon 431.jpg
Canon 431.jpg (185.21 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
Canon 432.jpg
Canon 432.jpg (193.99 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
-Micci
teo

Post by teo »

I think the first is more monvillei-ish looking than the other. Compare to my plant (which I'm fairly sure is a monvillei). But I also think they can vary in spination so the other(s) might also be monvillei.
G. monvillei
G. monvillei
DSC_0947-c.JPG (54.59 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

Good to know!!! So....maybe the flower too can vary LOL :mrgreen:
But now that you said G. monvillei can vary (I should know every species can have several subspecies...but I often forget it :roll: ), I've taked a look and it seems to me that the second one is a G. monvillei "megalothele" (or simply G. megalothele....I will never learn how to call a cactus ](*,) ) ---> http://www.cactuspedia.info/schede/GYMN ... othele.htm
It also has a bud, and soon I'll know if it's a G. megalothele or not :) based on that link the flower is pure white.
About the first you are right and it has to be a G. monvillei.
Thank you very much Teo!!!
-Micci
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You don't even need subspecies for variation Micaela, plants can even vary greatly within the same population and still be the same species. The problem is we get used to only growing a few artificially selected clones as that species and anything slightly different in spine length, number, colour or even flower colour we think must be a different species.

A couple of examples of natural variation within a species in habitat, all growing within a few feet of each other:-
nidus5.jpg
nidus5.jpg (129.82 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
In the past when such variants were sent to Europe botanists who had never seen variation in habitat would probably have given them different varietal, or even specific names based on spine or flower colour.
Attachments
chilensis6.jpg
chilensis6.jpg (147.71 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Yes that is Gymnocalycium Movillei =^-^=

And thats a seed pod you have on the top there. The other Gymno looks to be a G. Movillei too , but as said above . There is a variation in spination between the two plants.
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

Thank you for all the infos Dave, sometimes I try to find the differences between two cactuses but I haven't the experience to do it.
It has been very interesting reading what you have written and the images that you have attached were perfect to let me understand, thank you.
Seed pod..I've never seen one before, can I leave it there or should I remove it? Does it steal energy and/or resources from the cactus? Thank you Eutow for the reply!
-Micci
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

No it will not hurt the plant, all cacti produce fruit of one kind or another if the flowers are fertilised. Gymno pods eventually split down the side to release the seed inside or just fall off. They can vary from red to bluish green:-

http://public.fotki.com/plumo/cactaceae ... ote-5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://harshpod.wordpress.com/2009/08/1 ... -seed-pod/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

DaveW wrote:No it will not hurt the plant, all cacti produce fruit of one kind or another if the flowers are fertilised. Gymno pods eventually split down the side to release the seed inside or just fall off. They can vary from red to bluish green:-

http://public.fotki.com/plumo/cactaceae ... ote-5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://harshpod.wordpress.com/2009/08/1 ... -seed-pod/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*nods*

=^-^=

Tis fine.

In fact that pod looks about ready to bust at any time. When it does split you will find the seeds will be surrounded in pith. I tend to take some and roll the roll the stuff between my thumb and fingers in one hand gently , until the seeds emerge and dry out. Maybe using the palm of your hand too.

Then if you so desire you can try growing the seed ;)
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

Thank you very much :D
-Micci