Plant bought from CVS

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
michelleortner

Plant bought from CVS

Post by michelleortner »

I bought a plant a bit ago from CVS. The only reason I'm posting this here is because it was surrounded by other cacti and succulents. I've done research on cacti, succulents, and even plants but can't figure out what it was. If anyone could help that would be great!!
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (35.41 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (32.53 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
Thank you in advance!! :D
snarfie

Re: Plant bought from CVS

Post by snarfie »

it is called sempervivum, and it really needs more light, it is very elongated. it normally is a rosette that's about 4-10 cm high
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
michelleortner

Post by michelleortner »

snarfie wrote:it is called sempervivum, and it really needs more light, it is very elongated. it normally is a rosette that's about 4-10 cm high
Oh wow. Thank you so much!! I didn't think it was that plant because of the unusual shape. Will it be okay? Should I leave it by the window during the day?
Last edited by michelleortner on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

That is one of the most etiolated (stretched due to lack of light) plants I've ever seen! I'd recommend cutting the stem back to the base just above where there are all the leaves stacked together. It definitely needs to be in the window at least. More ideally you should grow it outside in a place protected from strong sun, at least for the summer. That will help it grow into a healthy shape again.

Very few plants of any kind, and basically no succulents, can grow well more than a few feet away from a window. And even a few feet is pushing it for succulents. Our eyes are great at adjusting to whatever light level we have available but plants know better. Plants make their food from light and there is nowhere near enough to sustain it in a normal room away from a window.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
michelleortner

Post by michelleortner »

Saxicola wrote:That is one of the most etiolated (stretched due to lack of light) plants I've ever seen! I'd recommend cutting the stem back to the base just above where there are all the leaves stacked together. It definitely needs to be in the window at least. More ideally you should grow it outside in a place protected from strong sun, at least for the summer. That will help it grow into a healthy shape again.

Very few plants of any kind, and basically no succulents, can grow well more than a few feet away from a window. And even a few feet is pushing it for succulents. Our eyes are great at adjusting to whatever light level we have available but plants know better. Plants make their food from light and there is nowhere near enough to sustain it in a normal room away from a window.
Thank you so much!! Can you be a bit more specific where I should cut it? I keep it at work and just put it by the window. Should it be getting that light everyday?
Last edited by michelleortner on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
iann

Post by iann »

This isn't a house plant. It is an alpine best kept outdoors. It is extremely hardy, barely succulent, and really quite thirsty. Grown outdoors for a year, you wouldn't recognise it. Unless you live somewhere pretty extreme it will be hardy outdoors, maybe with a little protection if you have nasty free-thaw cycles or just a lot of rain.
--ian
michelleortner

Post by michelleortner »

iann wrote:This isn't a house plant. It is an alpine best kept outdoors. It is extremely hardy, barely succulent, and really quite thirsty. Grown outdoors for a year, you wouldn't recognise it. Unless you live somewhere pretty extreme it will be hardy outdoors, maybe with a little protection if you have nasty free-thaw cycles or just a lot of rain.
Any idea what kind of alpine?
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Where do you live? That can help us figure out if it can live outdoors in your area.

I'd probably cut it an inch or two above the soil level. You see how the leaves at the base are fairly crowded together but once the stem starts growing they are fairly spaced out? You want to get rid of that spaced out part. What will happen after you cut it is that it will sit for a while and not do anything, then it will produce several new buds that will grow into new rosettes. As long as they get good light they will stay compact. A healthy plant of this species will never make a stem. It will always be low to the ground with lots of leaves overlapping each other.
michelleortner

Post by michelleortner »

Saxicola wrote:Where do you live? That can help us figure out if it can live outdoors in your area.

I'd probably cut it an inch or two above the soil level. You see how the leaves at the base are fairly crowded together but once the stem starts growing they are fairly spaced out? You want to get rid of that spaced out part. What will happen after you cut it is that it will sit for a while and not do anything, then it will produce several new buds that will grow into new rosettes. As long as they get good light they will stay compact. A healthy plant of this species will never make a stem. It will always be low to the ground with lots of leaves overlapping each other.
Okay great! I live in Pennsylvania, south eastern around philly
michelleortner

Post by michelleortner »

Saxicola wrote:Where do you live? That can help us figure out if it can live outdoors in your area.

Anything?? Here's a picture of what it looks like now.
IMG_4630.JPG
IMG_4630.JPG (28.7 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

You can grow them outside for the summer. Once they resprout and start looking normal we can probably get an ID on them. Once that happens it will be easier to know how cold tolerant it is. Since you live in a cold, but not ridiculously cold climate, my guess is it could probably survive outdoors year round. Anyway, one step at a time. If possible find a bright spot outside that doesn't get full sun and is protected from rain. In time it can be moved into full sun. Over the course of the summer I'd expect several new shoots to form from the side or base of these plants. When they get some size to them send us another picture and we'll see about an ID.
michelleortner

Post by michelleortner »

Saxicola wrote:You can grow them outside for the summer. Once they resprout and start looking normal we can probably get an ID on them. Once that happens it will be easier to know how cold tolerant it is. Since you live in a cold, but not ridiculously cold climate, my guess is it could probably survive outdoors year round. Anyway, one step at a time. If possible find a bright spot outside that doesn't get full sun and is protected from rain. In time it can be moved into full sun. Over the course of the summer I'd expect several new shoots to form from the side or base of these plants. When they get some size to them send us another picture and we'll see about an ID.
That sounds great! I have a perfect place by my house for them. Thank you so much!