Is this an Opuntia microdays?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Aineen

Is this an Opuntia microdays?

Post by Aineen »

I was given this cutting of cactus by my cousin. It was part of a plant that belonged to my grandmother, and I really treasure it. He told me it was an Opuntia Microdasys and when I looked it up it sure does resemble one, ONLY, it is growing rather oddly. :roll: Can anyone help me figure out what's going on? Thanks!!

Image[/img]
hablu

Post by hablu »

hello Aineen, welcome here. This cactus looks very much Opuntia microdasys, but I think it needs much more light. This is what I should do: cut off the small parts and get used the big part slowly to full sunshine. (in a week or two or so)
You can try to chop that snall part in two or three pieces; dry it for a week and try to reroot them. See what becomes of it. Good luck. Harry
Aineen

Post by Aineen »

Thanks for the advice Harry. This plant is in my office and exposed to flourescent light at least 18 hours a day. I don't have a window to put it in, but I guess I could take it home and put it outside once it warms up. I'm so afraid of killing this plant!

So I'll cut off the sprout and and just leave to dry for a week before replanting. When I replant do I just stick it in cactus soil? Sorry, I really don't know too much about cacti..... :oops:
hablu

Post by hablu »

yes, just some cactussoil with a lot of grit or stone. half soil/half stone. Very easy with watering for at least a month. Just sprinkle now and then.
BTW. if you show us more cacti take the upper part of this site. i think Daiv will replace this item to the right place. This place is for succulents - "fat plants". greets Harry