Another UNknown opuntia

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
stefan m.

Another UNknown opuntia

Post by stefan m. »

This long spined opuntia i find very pleasant to look at(for a plant that looks like a torture device anyway)
I have my theories, but if anything else, im sure its not an engelmanii variant, the spines are too short, and not tip dense enough. Id if you can, please.
Attachments
DSC_0118.JPG
DSC_0118.JPG (77.26 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
DSC_0119.JPG
DSC_0119.JPG (97.31 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
DSC_0120.JPG
DSC_0120.JPG (72.31 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
ElieEstephane

Re: Another UNknown opuntia

Post by ElieEstephane »

Has a chlorotica feel to it but it's not that. Check the opuntia resource i posted in the general section. It could be helpful
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I have reason to beleive its O.azurea.
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

Textbook O. engelmannii, even if you don't think so.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Spines are longer, and yellow and orange and red. Engelmanii var engelmanii is less spinier, shorter, and glochids are brown. Mine are yellow. Im just sorry the pictures are bad. Not the best lighting , doesnt show real colors.
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

stefan m. wrote:Spines are longer, and yellow and orange and red. Engelmanii var engelmanii is less spinier, shorter, and glochids are brown. Mine are yellow. Im just sorry the pictures are bad. Not the best lighting , doesnt show real colors.
There is a reason most experts dismiss varieties for many Arizona Opuntia like O. engelmannii. These are extremely variable taxa and hybridize easily, and it is difficult to appreciate the extent without seeing them in the wild. This is absolutely not O. azurea.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

While opuntia engelmanii is popular in wholesale, the same rule cannot be applied everywhere, not its possible that " a really tall opuntia white white spines" and " a very rotund-cladode opuntia with lots orange spines" could all be variants of engelmanii. I understand there are variants, but it does not mean that its that popular here. EG, ive only seen two plants even closely resemble "ficus indica" in 7 years of growing cacti and succulents. Yet, ive seen hundreds of humifusa, monacatha,microdasys....., So, unless youve actually studied nursery plants outside of the US and not in nature, please avoid the "wild species" identification. Does not always apply.
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

stefan m. wrote:While opuntia engelmanii is popular in wholesale, the same rule cannot be applied everywhere, not its possible that " a really tall opuntia white white spines" and " a very rotund-cladode opuntia with lots orange spines" could all be variants of engelmanii. I understand there are variants, but it does not mean that its that popular here. EG, ive only seen two plants even closely resemble "ficus indica" in 7 years of growing cacti and succulents. Yet, ive seen hundreds of humifusa, monacatha,microdasys....., So, unless youve actually studied nursery plants outside of the US and not in nature, please avoid the "wild species" identification. Does not always apply.
I'm quite familiar with European nursery plants given that I was a grower in Europe before moving here. With your seven years of experience maybe it's better that you stop asking us amateurs to identify your plants. I can see why you were banned with that type of immature attitude.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

If i was asking amateurs, i wouldnt be here. Im annoyed by the fact that everytime you try and ID something, that sounds like youre 100% certain,without a hint of doubt. Its like youre saying is only that one choice is available , no substitutes or mistakes are possible.
I like your tenacity , but really disapprove of your confidence.
Im pretty sure i got banned on purpose though, exam week and everything.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

What's that about being banned?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I wrote some swear words, deleted them afterwards, and sent the account deletion request to daiv. Mostly because i was harassed by spikylover. I do beleive i posted about it .
In my own defense, it was exam week, i was under a lot of stress, etc etc.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

You were deleted for inappropriate forum behavior so it was not on purpose like someone's out to get you. I recall the thread and i don't recall any harrassement. Please stick to forum rules and everything will be fine
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

It was also deleted. I reported the comment though.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

stefan m. wrote:If i was asking amateurs, i wouldnt be here. Im annoyed by the fact that everytime you try and ID something, that sounds like youre 100% certain,without a hint of doubt.
Stefan, what is the point of asking people to take the time to respond to your request for help if you are then so dismissive of them?
If someone is very confident of an identification, surely you would want to know that it is a confident id, not a vague possibility or suggestion?
It's up to you to accept or reject the opinions stated here, but it seems downright rude to be so openly dismissive of them.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

"vague possibility or suggestion?" some plants are hard to id, that i understand. But to go around and saying youre 100 percent certain of something, despite abundance of evidence against......
Ill let you be the judge of that :|