What cacti should everyone own?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Grimm

What cacti should everyone own?

Post by Grimm »

On a similar topic to DWDogwood's old post about what cacti do you want but can't get, and Spikylover's post about best flowers, I was wondering what cacti people think should be in everyone's collections? Obviously there will be some variations by country, for example I think that Lophophora williamsii is a great plant that makes an excellent introduction to taprooted plants but is illegal in many countries. Similarly the Schlumbergera species are easy and rewarding in our temperate UK but difficult in arid and hot countries.

One reason that I'm asking is because I'm not sure what to go for next. This year I may try to get some hardy Echinopsis and Echinocereus plants that can stay out all year around, but otherwise I'm a bit stumped.

So, what do you think everyone should own? What forms the core or perhaps just the start of a collection? My suggestions would be:

Lophophora williamsii - small, spineless, slow growing, one of the more forgiving of taprooted cacti and a good introduction to them.
Schlumbergera x buckleyi - tough, easy to keep and flower which it does during the darkest part of the year.
Rebutia heliosa - small but will cover itself with large red-orange flowers. I find the white spined variant more attractive.
Mammillaria zeilmanniana - covered with horrible hooked spines that try to attach the cactus to everything, but makes up for it by one of the longest flowering seasons of any cactus. Very forgiving in terms of growing environment.
Astrophytum asterias - Another slow growing spineless cactus, starts off small. Big yellow flowers, which it can put out several times a year.
Maybe Mammillaria prolifera even though I don't have one myself.
Probably some kind of Parodia/Notocactus but I'm not sure which one.
A Gymnocalycium, probably baldianum

Last edited by Grimm on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveW

Re: What cacti should everyone own?

Post by DaveW »

I would not like to be without Chamaecereus silvestrii or Echinopsis chamaecereus if you prefer. One of the first cacti I had and still a good flowering plant.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Hello Grimm
Im going through the same problem thinking about what seeds i should get and sometimes the little devil on my shoulder tells me to get them all!
So here's my contribtion based mostly on my taste (plants are very common):

Echinopsis subdenudata: very easy plant to care for and cultivate. Grows quite fast, tolerates part sun and will reward you with lots of flowers. It's very easy from seed and there's a high chance for crested or variegated seedlings. Plus it's pretty common so it should be cheap. Same goes for oxygona/eyriesii

Parodias: are all beautiful but if i had to pick one it probably will be rutilans for the beautiful flowers or ottonis for its clumping nature and the big early flowers.

Gymnocalycium: you are right about baldianum. They are very beautiful and fast growing. Mine flowered this year non stop fron early may to late aughust and probably only stopped because my repotting was too harsh. It grows faster than anythung i have seen from seed. G. bruchii, andreae and horstii (plus v buenekeri) are all very beautiful, easy and readily available.

Espostoa lanata or similar species: attractive columnars that will stay of a manageable size

Pilosocereus pachycladus: easy, fast growing and attractive.

Barrels: i personally like them all but i think echinocactus grusonii "intermedius" is very attractive (medium spines)

Opuntia microdasys var pallida crest has nice wavy pads.

Lobivias are always welcome: small, easy and beautiful flowers.

Maybe chamaecerus too. And mammillaria elongata... way too common but beautiful, easy and reliable
I'll update tomorrow with pictures

As for echinocereus i have several but all are still yearlings. On a new order i'm gonna get dasyacanthus, pulchellus, x lloydii (several flower colors), triglochidiatus inermis, white flowerd form of rigidissimus rubispinus, subinermis and probably something orange flowered
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Armen Tsirunyan

Post by Armen Tsirunyan »

Really depends on one's personal circumstances. For example, if space is an issue, then
- Fraileas - easy to grow, beautiful and compact. F. castanea is especially beautiful, but a bit fussy
- Turbinicarpuses/Pelecyphoras - extremely beautiful plants, relatively easy to cultivate if not overwatered, beautiful flowers, compact
- Lophophora - not necessarily williamsii, diffusa, frichii, alberto-vojtechii, they are all beautiful and don't take up much space

Now, in general, I like Elie's list, but I'd like to add:

- Any stenocactus. They are just adorable
- A nice tephrocactus is a must in a collection
- Astrophytum flowers are irreplaceable
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Armen Tsirunyan wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:36 pm
Any stenocactus. They are just adorable
I would love me some of this coptonogonus!
BatchSave-1024x1024.jpg
BatchSave-1024x1024.jpg (105.38 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
BatchSave-1024x1023.jpg
BatchSave-1024x1023.jpg (123.75 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
keith

Post by keith »

Mammillaria lenta slow grower but not impossible plus nice white flowers .
BRC

Post by BRC »

Parodia and Notocactus species come to mind. Normally they are not hard to grow and always give nice flower displays. One of my personal favorites is Parodia subterranea, which while not easy is quite small, beautifull and uncommon.
We sailed through endless skies
Stars shine like eyes
The black night sighs
The moon in silver trees
Falls down in tears

Light of the night
The earth, a purple blaze
Of sapphire haze in orbital ways...
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

Everyone should own one giant saguaro or Carnegiea gigantea.

I have one, not so giant, stands about three feet tall. Hoping for six feet by the time I leave this planet.
Joe

Zone 5a/5b
Spikylover

Post by Spikylover »

CoffeeAddict wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:20 pm Everyone should own one giant saguaro or Carnegiea gigantea.

I have one, not so giant, stands about three feet tall. Hoping for six feet by the time I leave this planet.
How are you keeping it in zone 5??!! :? :shock:
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

Spikylover wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:43 pm
CoffeeAddict wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:20 pm Everyone should own one giant saguaro or Carnegiea gigantea.

It’s not easy without a greenhouse. It goes to the basement in the winter time with a soft grow light on a timer. Springtime I bring it upstairs and place near a window. Once I am certain there is no frost coming I wait a little bit longer then bring it outside. I have to watch out for rain. Then reverse the process once fall arrives. Best I can do.
Joe

Zone 5a/5b
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

It’s not easy without a greenhouse. It goes to the basement in the winter time with a soft grow light on a timer. Springtime I bring it upstairs and place near a window. Once I am certain there is no frost coming I wait a little bit longer then bring it outside. I have to watch out for rain. Then reverse the process once fall arrives. Best I can do.
Joe

Zone 5a/5b
Spikylover

Post by Spikylover »

CoffeeAddict wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Not too stray too much from the topic but could i bother you with a photo? :D
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria
leland

Post by leland »

Epiphyllum t. costaricense
Easy from cuttings, Controllable in hanging basket or on wall, early to flower.
Last edited by leland on Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

Spikylover wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:59 pm
CoffeeAddict wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Not too stray too much from the topic but could i bother you with a photo? :D
The photo is gigantea. Can’t post it
Joe

Zone 5a/5b
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

Here we go
Attachments
0637F105-94FF-4EF7-9348-A648CE2C4BE2.jpeg
0637F105-94FF-4EF7-9348-A648CE2C4BE2.jpeg (29.23 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
Joe