Ants and small tan bugs that aren't mealybugs

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
craftycacti

Ants and small tan bugs that aren't mealybugs

Post by craftycacti »

I have seen these small and quick tannish white bugs every where outside. On pots, crawling on succulent leaves, in gravel, porch walls, basically everywhere. Anybody know what insect I'm talking about? They don't seem to be harmful and I can't find anything about them being pests. They are definitely not the slow mealybugs. They hung around for a long time without much problem, but I still am concerned. I also noticed that ants would appear here and there on pots near the ground. There doesn't seem to be a clear trail of them and there is no sign of mealybugs, and I wonder if the ants are simply nesting nearby and explore the pots, if that's possible? Overall my succulents don't seem to be bothered, with the exception of one echeveria that seems to be dehydrated (it's raining on and off and is cold and warm on and off, and I'm just playing it safe and not watering it) I will upload pics later
CoffeeAddict

Re: Ants and small tan bugs that aren't mealybugs

Post by CoffeeAddict »

Check the drainage holes for ants.
Joe

Zone 5a/5b
craftycacti

Post by craftycacti »

Good news! Turns out the ants were coming in and out of a hole of concrete that is few inches next to the nearest pot. They had left the pot and were now on the floor of the porch and around the mat, so I'm pretty sure they aren't going for the succulents. I'm going to put some ant traps and move my succulents up and away in the meantime. I still see the small bugs everywhere, which I'm convinced are springtails. Anybody have experience with them? I read online they are for the most part harmless and just a minor nuisance.
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Yes these are most probably springtails. Annoying little things. However, they are harmless to plants. If you want to get rid of them. Let your pots go bone dry for a week
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
craftycacti

Post by craftycacti »

ElieEstephane wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:05 am Yes these are most probably springtails. Annoying little things. However, they are harmless to plants. If you want to get rid of them. Let your pots go bone dry for a week
I'm relieved to hear! I think there is a bunch currently because the front porch where the outdoor plants are tends to be a bit damp, especially since it's raining.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

They are attracted to wet/humid organic rich locations
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: