Anyone help with succulent problem?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
murmanator

Anyone help with succulent problem?

Post by murmanator »

Hi all, new to the forum and love it, everyone so helpful and polite! Thank you.

I grow a lot of succulents in Phoenix with mostly good results but this year I had some major problems and was wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions. The issue is with several species of aloe, gasteria, haworthia and euphorbia.

The plants all first appeared to be growing fantastically early in the summer. Then I noticed the aloes and haworthias starting to get "loose" in their soil when they had previously been firmly rooted. I waited awhile, stopped water and observed the plants. They did not improve. I pulled them out of their pots and to my shock most of the roots were gone! Nothing but little stubs where there had been nice healthy roots.

I left the plants out of soil to dry out further and applied a rooting hormone/fungicide. Later I put the plants in pumice in an effort to grow some new roots, but soon after they all rotted out and died.

Here is why Im confused: this whole process took several months to play out (except the euphorbias all went quickly). In the past when I have lost plants to rot, they went fast. Also, these plants were not new to their surroundings, they had been in the same place for at least a few years and were used to the culture. I even watered LESS this year than in the past.

One thing I did do different this year was to apply a slow release granular fertilizer to the plants. It was something like 6-4-2 with some amount of calcium also. This was a product made by Rainbow Valley Nuseries for succulents, if anyone is familiar with it. I also occasionally used a very diluted water-based fertilizer along with Superthrive when watering (OK, yes I got a little carried away trying to get the plants to pop).

If anyone has any opinions about this Im most appreciative. Thanks again.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi,

Haworthias and Gasterias are notorious for shedding their roots for no apparent reason. I have just read an article in a British Cacti Journal that says they will easily re-root in Seramis. This is a branded product, but pumice is very similar in structure and of course has no nutrient of its own.

Regarding the Aloes and Euphorbias perhaps you have been over diligent with the watering can or if you live in an industrial area there may be chemical contamination in the water.

The only other things I can think of are that the granular fertiliser has 'burnt' the roots, particularly if this is the only thing you have done differently. Or you have a pest in the soil. Something like vine weevils would definitely destroy the roots. There are branded products to get rid of these pests.

You obviously know how to look after your plants so it has got to be something other than normal culture requirements.

John
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

I agree with John. I know that all of us in the southwest had more rain and a longer that usual monsoon season this year. I lost all of my old Euphorbia obesa for example.

I would suggest that you hook up with one of the local Cactus & Succulent Societies in the Phoenix area. You can get a lot of information regarding what has been happening to other collectors' plants and then make your own determination if it is your own culture or the local climactic conditions that have caused your problems.

I can say that here in Southern California, the aloes have loved the past year.

Buck
Buck Hemenway
murmanator

Post by murmanator »

Thanks for your comments. I spoke to Chad at DBG this past weekend, he is the aloe curator over there. He tended to think it was the watering more than anything else. More hot and humid this year as opposed to past years. They had to cut back on water to their aloes in the mid summer.

So, live and learn... always! Thanks again.