Aloes from seed

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
stephanelli

Aloes from seed

Post by stephanelli »

This year I thought I'd raise some succulents from seed. I decided to sow some Aloe vera (on request from my sister because we both killed ours, she probably overwatered hers and mine got far too cold because I misjudged the weather), some Aloe polyphylla and some Aloe parvibracteata (I wasn't intending to sow this but I got some seed due to a mix up from the seller and they didn't want it back).

I was reading around the internet and thought I'd try a new approach to germinating aloes. I read on the BCSS forum about someone who had successfully germinated Aloe polyphylla seeds in a glass of water on a sunny windowsill and I googled around further and found another website with details about germination rates and general success. Further comments on the BCSS forum suggested it might work for other Aloes so I thought I'd give it a go with all mine.

I got 10 Aloe vera seeds, 10 Aloe parvibracteata seeds and 5 Aloe Polyphylla (not many, but it was what I could afford and what was easily available to me at the time).
On the 10th April 2018, I put the Aloe vera and Aloe parvibracteata seeds in water.
On the 12th April 2018, I put the Aloe polyphylla in water.

Thus far, 4 Aloe vera and 5 Aloe parvibracteata have germinated (its been 10 days). The first vera germinated after 4 days and the first parvibracteata after 7 days. The polyphylla have yet to germinate, but I have read that they can take over a month to germinate so I'm not worried.

Today, just under a week after the first germination, I put all the germinated seeds into their own pots to grow on. The rest of seeds are enjoying some more water time on the windowsill.

So currently this method seems quite successful and certainly faster than my previous attempts at Aloe vera (although that may have been because it was old seed).

A couple of photos:
Aloe vera
Aloe parvibracteata
Just visible in its pot!

Just thought I'd share my aloe seed growing progress :)
I'll update this as my seeds/seedlings progress
ElieEstephane

Re: Aloes from seed

Post by ElieEstephane »

Interesting. Thanks for sharing!
The usual cactus seeds sowing (baggy) method would work too with no stress to the germinated seedlings. As for polyphylla, some sources suggest it needs cold stratification. Germination is also affected by freshness of seeds.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stephanelli

Post by stephanelli »

Yes, I've germinated aloes previously using the baggy method, I just thought it would be a fun experiment. (I view growing plants of any variety as one big science experiment!)
I hadn't discovered that the polyphylla might need cold stratification. I might try that if germination seems unforthcoming. I started the seeds going basically as soon as they arrived here so hopefully that's in my favour in terms of freshness. I'm not sure how old they were before I brought them though.
But I'm not worried at all yet, I shall continue watching and waiting for more germination with this method currently :)
stephanelli

Post by stephanelli »

As a short update, the ones that had previously germinated and been potted up are growing well and looking very happy. Pictures to come at a later date.
I've also had 3 more Aloe parvibracteata and the first 2 Aloe polyphylla germinate!

(So with this method, I've had 8/10 of the A.parvibracteata germinate and 4/10 of the A.vera within 2 weeks. First 2 A.polyphylla germinated within 2 weeks also.)

:)
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I was waiting on the polyphylla seeds. Thanks for the update!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stephanelli

Post by stephanelli »

Another update with pictures!

Germination has been going well, here is the data as it currently stands:

Aloe vera
1 seed germinated after 4 days, 1 seed after 5 days, 1 seed after 7 days, 1 seed after 9 days and 1 seed after 22 days. There are 5 seeds currently ungerminated. (So 50% germination after 28 days).
Aloe vera, ID No. 30 (15 days after being sown in water)
Aloe, ID No. 30 (27 days after being sown in water)

Aloe parvibractaeta
2 seeds germinated after 7 days, 2 seeds after 8 days, 1 seed after 9 days, 2 seeds after 12 days and 1 seed after 14 days. There are 2 seeds currently ungerminated. (So 80% germination after 28 days).
Aloe parvibractaeta, ID No. 28 (15 days after being sown in water)
Aloe parvibractaeta, ID No. 28 (27 days after being sown in water)

Aloe polyphylla
1 seed germinated after 13 days, 1 seed after 14 days, 1 seed after 16 days and 1 seed after 19 days. There is 1 seed currently ungerminated. (So 80% germination after 26 days).
Aloe polyphylla, ID No. 35 (26 days after being sown in water, 9 days after being placed in pot (germinated after either 13 or 14 days))
Aloe polyphylla, ID No. 44 (26 days after being sown in water, 1 day after being placed in pot (germinated after either 16 or 19 days))

Overall thoughts (currently)
Germination appears to have been good using this method and the plants that have germinated are growing nicely. The A.polyphylla is growing slowest since germinated, but all but one of my seeds has germinated. A.parvibractaeta has done really well using this method with 8 out of 10 seeds germinating so far! A.vera hasn't germinated as well but once germinated appears to be the fastest growing of the 3 species in this little experiment. Let's see how they keep on growing (and possibly germinating!)