Dodo's first seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
cosmotoad

Re: Dodo's first seedlings

Post by cosmotoad »

Well some seeds from koehres were on the lower percentage of germination rates, but the majority were pretty good for me, sometimes 100%. The only one I had trouble with recently was sulcorebutia rauschii which got like 1/2 of a sprout.. it doesn't look too good. But for the convenience, selection and good service I don't mind getting a dud seed packet once in a while.
Bosenoge

Post by Bosenoge »

Dodo, try Frantisek Nechvil, he is superfast! I ordered on the 3rd October and I expect to have my seeds in Croatia today or tommorow. I also like early sowing so Nechvil is my first choice. The list is not so extensive as ADBPLS or Succseed, but the quality is good and I have decent germination from him.
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

I want to thank all of you for sharing feedback with me. It means a lot.
Honestly I have searched for M.Humboldtii and Herrerae and could not find it easily but now I see F. Nechvile has it, I think I will give it a try. Still some species I don't see on his list so will eventually search for that elsewhere.
keith

Post by keith »

M.Humboldtii and Herrerae , I never got humboltii to germinate but do OK with herrerae. I think the seed has to be older than 1 year to germinate well. You have to pull the seed out of the mother plant and they tend to fall all over the place. If seed doesn't germinate in 2 weeks dry them out and try again and again but let the seed go dry between.

constantly wet seed will just rot. have fun :D
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

keith wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:21 pm M.Humboldtii and Herrerae , I never got humboltii to germinate but do OK with herrerae. I think the seed has to be older than 1 year to germinate well. You have to pull the seed out of the mother plant and they tend to fall all over the place. If seed doesn't germinate in 2 weeks dry them out and try again and again but let the seed go dry between.

constantly wet seed will just rot. have fun :D
Well that's a comforting info Keith :lol: Obviously I am not prepared for Humboldtii, I just like the way it looked, that's how I choose my seedlings so far :newb:
Thank you for highlighting that info anyway.
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

That's as good a way to pick seedlings as any; I picked horridocactus horridus based entirely on the name, I didn't even really know what it would look like (I assume it must be horrid in some way).
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

cosmotoad wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:43 pm That's as good a way to pick seedlings as any; I picked horridocactus horridus based entirely on the name, I didn't even really know what it would look like (I assume it must be horrid in some way).
:lol: :lol: You're funny cosmo.
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

I ordered some more seeds, this time from ADBLPS, I really like choice the have and enjoyed browsing their list with photos included.
List of newly ordered:
ECHINOCEREUS Poselgeri tuberosus
ECHINOCEREUS reichenbachii
ERIOSYCE chilensis subgibbosa
GYMNOCALYCIUM buenkeri
GYMNOCALYCIUM tillanum
LOBIVIA backenbergii oxyalabastra
LOBIVIA caineana
MAMMILLARIA longimamma uberiformis
MAMMILLARIA polythele nuda
MAMMILLARIA saetigara woodsii
MAMMILLARIA wagneriana
NOTOCACTUS uebelmannianus nilsonii
SULCOREBUTIA tarabucoensis patriciae
THELOCACTUS hexadrophorus fossulatus
TURBINICARPUS alonsoi
TURBINICARPUS graminispinus

Unfortunately no M.Humboldtii was available, I guess I have to wait new list to grab some.
As for the space I have no idea where I am going to accommodate all the pots but we ll figure it out when orders arrive.
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

Nice, out of that list I've only got echinocereus reichenbachii (v. caespitosus though), and they seem to be growing quite vigorously. I checked out the ADBLPS website but have yet to order from them, but it's only a matter of time I suppose. Figuring it out later is how I usually go about things and it mostly works out in the end, so you should be alright
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

In the meantime I have found out such a beautiful cactus that I probably never saw before. Don't know why but I really like it; Mammillaria marksiana. http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... _marksiana
Adorable with those yellow flowers. Unfortunately, ADBLPS does not have it on list. At least I didn't find any.
But I so wish to have it....
I took Longimamma seed instead for now.
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

Looks like koehres kaktus has seeds, as well as 382 other kinds of mammillaria if you want to try an extra type or 10
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

I need to make a new list as I thing shipping costs wld be too much for only one type of seeds. Think I will wait until next sowing.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

DodoBrooke wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:59 pm I need to make a new list as I thing shipping costs wld be too much for only one type of seeds. Think I will wait until next sowing.
Why wait a year?
Imagine you waited ten years ago because it would save you a little bit of money. You could have a big flowering size home grown plant by now. In a year you could have a nice big seedling at this time of the year and you were happy you anticipated on this a year earlier and bought yourself a whole year of growing time for hardly any money, instead of having only just a few grains of seed which maybe don't even germinate for you next year and you need to wait another year...
cosmotoad

Post by cosmotoad »

While you have a point I kind of get what Dodo means too, I'm putting a hold on ordering any more seeds for a while as I'm pretty much broke at the moment. I've got lots to do with the seedlings I already have and I'd like to still be able to buy food and beer and stuff. And I don't think it said a year anywhere in the post unless I missed it
DodoBrooke

Post by DodoBrooke »

Aiko wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:33 pm Why wait a year?
It doesnt have to be a year :lol:
I can see what happens with seeds that I plan to sow soon and if I by any chance have some noshows then I plan to buy new batch together with beloved M.Marksiana.
Anyway thanks for encouraging me Aiko :)

Cosmo, hopefully you won’t be forced to eat Opuntia fruits instead of food. Joking a bit... :lol: