Question about having my cacti outside.

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Daedalux

Question about having my cacti outside.

Post by Daedalux »

Hey there guys,

I normally have my cacti outside in my south balcony, but as I live near the sea, now the humidty is very high at night and they wake up a bit on the wet side...

Should I move them inside, to that balcony window or leave them outside?

They are all in a shelf.

Cheers :)
cosmotoad

Re: Question about having my cacti outside.

Post by cosmotoad »

In my greenhouse it gets a bit humid sometimes, especially when the windows are mostly closed, and the cacti don't seem to mind much. I guess it's hard to say without knowing just how high the humidity is over where you are. I was just in the melocactus thread, and that's one type of cactus that would probably love that spot if it's warm enough. Opuntias and some columnars would also be perfectly fine, but certain other types may not like it so much. As for which kinds you'll have to wait for the more knowledgeable folks to chime in.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I don't think it will hurt them, just means the soil won't dry out quite as fast. You should be reducing their water now anyway.
Spence :mrgreen:
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I also live near the coast in Los Angeles and have been growing cactus and succulents outside for many decades. I grow most of my plants in equal parts of peat, coarse sand and pumice and some plants are grown in pure pumice. The annual rainfall for Los Angeles is only 14 inches per year and most of rain falls in the winter months. I realize that most plants are dormant and this can be a problem. I also grow plants under a covered patio so I can vary the amount of sunlight and water depending upon the type of plant. I grow my wife's orchids next to plants that require very little water and it seems odd indeed.
Daedalux

Post by Daedalux »

They were really drenched, I live like 1km away from the beach, I get them inside for the night for now atleast hehe :)

Or... I can try to make the shelf into a ghetto greenhouse with some plastic stuff, what do you think?

Thanks!
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I have frequent dew on the plants and water them accordingly. I know that there are plants that live in areas where it does not rain but, are located in areas with heavy fog. I grow some Copipoa cactus and give them very little water and they still flower. They also grow very slowly and retain a compact look. I have a covered patio and grow some plants that need rain protection.
Daedalux

Post by Daedalux »

Well it's been a tough day as Leslie is passing by, they came home for the night, but yeah, the heavy misting is daily here where I live, all nights are foggy as heck, my Haws loved it tho, my cacti, hmmm, my dad's asterias rot in like 4 days of this misting.. it's a shame, I'm going to buy a shelf with a greenhouse covering and a door with a zip so it can vent and they can stay awesomely outside all year round (temps here don't get low, the lowest I seen was like 3ºc).
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I bought a small greenhouse for tropical succulents. The problem with a greenhouse is very high humidity and would recommend using something to remove the excess humidity. I believe that many cactus can survive low temperatures but not with high humidity. I live in a semi arid environment and the days can be warm to hot but night time temperatures can be thirty to forty degrees cooler. There are many cactus that I cannot grow well because the day time temperature is not high enough. I am amazed that my Ferrocactus cylindraceus flowered this year because it grows in a very hot environment.
Daedalux

Post by Daedalux »

kuni1234567 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:38 am I bought a small greenhouse for tropical succulents. The problem with a greenhouse is very high humidity and would recommend using something to remove the excess humidity. I believe that many cactus can survive low temperatures but not with high humidity. I live in a semi arid environment and the days can be warm to hot but night time temperatures can be thirty to forty degrees cooler. There are many cactus that I cannot grow well because the day time temperature is not high enough. I am amazed that my Ferrocactus cylindraceus flowered this year because it grows in a very hot environment.
Now that you talk about it yeah it's going to be harsh all that humidty in such a small enclosure, gotta figure it out somehow...

Thanks!
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I would buy a small dehumidifier for your greenhouse and also buy a humidity meter. I never grew desert plants in my greenhouse because I knew that 80-100 percent humidity would probably damage plants. The outdoor humidity can approach 80 percent sometimes but winter humidity is down around 20 percent. I still have problems with losing plants during the winter months because of winter rains. I grew some cactus that received only rain water for many years at my parent's house.